Beginner What is the limiting factor

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Apologies if this has been asked before.
I am a dedicated Canon user and have just bought the 5D mk3. I am very happy with it, previously using the mk2.
My question is, what is the limiting factor on a FF, which stops the fps?
Going from 3.9 to 6 on my new camera is good, but how and why can the 1DX manage 12 as a FF?
Is it just pure cost? mechanics? Or is a 10fps over the horizon in capability and budget for any 5D mk4/5

All of that, it needs more processing power, more buffer memory and stronger and faster mechanical components. All of those things have a cost, some of them minimal (memory) some expensive (mirror and shutter mechanism).

And it's not about FF, the same issues would arise no matter what the sensor size, why the 7dII is faster than cheaper crop bodies.

Lots of things, some of it is to create differentiation within a company's camera line up - i.e. if you want 12 FPS then you need to buy a 1DX.

Technically the limiting factors are sensor readout speed, buffer size and write speed and probably a load of other things too such as shutter design. Obviously the more megapixels you have the more data there is so the faster the camera needs to be able to read/write the data from the sensor to the buffer. So often what you see is very high MP count sensors have lower FPS and the cameras with mega FPS have lower resolution. This also points towards intended use - sports photographers don't really need loads of MP but they will probably want high FPS, landscape photographers want lots of MP but don't care so much for high FPS.

Back