What is this it came off the front of the lens????

Name
Dale
Edit My Images
Yes
My brother has had his D90 with 18-105mm lens for less than a week and he has just emailed me this image. He said he looked at the front of the lens and this ring of plastic was starting to come away. Is this supposed to have happened can anyone identify what this is???

Thanks

ringxqk.jpg

Not supposed to happen for sure. It looks like it's a seal. Should be an easy fix, but I wouldn't leave it too long as dust is going to start getting in. As for using it in the wet .... :puke:

take it back and request exchange for new - D90 and lens not cheap so shouldn't have any issues like this.

Definately return it for exchange - even if they only exchange the lens.

Did he buy it from a UK dealer?

He bought it from Curry's online I've just checked and they have a refund or replacement policy for the first 28 days.
Problem is he is off on holidays to Cornwall tomorrow morning which is why he bought the camera in the first place, so he will have to wait until he gets back to get a replacement.

May just be plastic trim, but it should not fall off.
There seems to ne marks on the LHS. What are they?

Any marks are just dust I think, he said that one side of it was only slightly tacky I think he thought it was just a protective film as it was starting to peel off and as it was so very easy to remove.

looks to me like the thin plastic trim that nikon stick over the lens locking ring once the end glass has been screwed in.

all it does is cover the threads and the two indentations where you would use a tool to unscrew the end glass.

asthetics only mate it wont harm the lens or interfere with how it works.

to be honest a few small blobs of super glue would fix it back on in no time
as long as it is not bent or warped ( unlike my mind :wacky: lol )

how do i know ?

cos i took one apart to fix... :eek:

It's called the "beauty ring", shouldn't really fall off, but it just clips back on, not really a cause to return a lens though...

Back