What is this please

Name
Tug
Edit My Images
Yes
This little critter was walking across the front of the open door on the patio, When I first saw it I thought it was a snake until I took a closer look. I got the 100mm macro out and took about an hour or so getting this image.

I also captured some 1080P on the 5D2...Quite impressed.

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

That's the Caterpillar of an Elephant Hawk Moth and a nice photo of it too :)

Is it a rare one ....I have never seen anything like it before...First Macro ever for me...I have about 70 duff ones too. Its still crawling around outside the patio area

Nice capture Tug, with some luck it will pupate and you can try and capture the Elephant Hawk moth emerging.

BTW, you thinking that it looks like a snake is no coincidence. It has developed the eye patches as a way to scare off predators (and togs apparently :))

It has done a quick one on me and escaped...I thought about trying to keep it but thought it really cruel....I think he has done enough for me today ...lol

I have some really good footage captured on my 5D2....I dont do You Tube so I will have to suss out how to upload the footage.

Last edited:
The x5 and x10 funtion on live view on the 5D2 was a godsend for these images...In between shooting I selected live view and manually focussed on the area I wanted sharp....DOF was tight as it always is with Macro work...Any smaller aperture and the display became too dark to manually focus. So f/8.0 and F/9.5 it was ....I used a gorilla pod initially but wasn't really strong enough for the body and the lens...So I got the Tripod out...Not as easy with the tripod as it was with the gorillapod....Might invest in a larger one.

Back