Concepts What kind of photograph is it?

To indicate that this thread is a discussion of theoretical concepts
"The two photographers characterize opposite modes of the new photography, with its divergence between those who believe that art is a mirror, reflecting a portrait of the artist who made it, and those who see it as a window, through which one may better know the world."
From a MOMA press release: "Szarkowski, however, is quick to point out that the mirrors-and-windows dichotomy is not a hard and fast one. 'It must be emphasized that the distinction proposed here...is not intended as a method of dividing recent photography into two discrete and unrelated bodies. On the contrary, the model suggested here is that of a continuous axis. No photographer's work could embody with perfect purity either of the two divergent motives; it is the nature of his problem to find a personally satisfactory resolution of the contesting claims of recalcitrant facts and the will to form.'"

From a MOMA press release: "Szarkowski, however, is quick to point out that the mirrors-and-windows dichotomy is not a hard and fast one. 'It must be emphasized that the distinction proposed here...is not intended as a method of dividing recent photography into two discrete and unrelated bodies. On the contrary, the model suggested here is that of a continuous axis. No photographer's work could embody with perfect purity either of the two divergent motives; it is the nature of his problem to find a personally satisfactory resolution of the contesting claims of recalcitrant facts and the will to form.'"
Yes, indeed, and that's one of the reasons I used it as an example. I didn't feel the need to expand what I wrote as I had already explained the same rationale as being central to the reasoning behind my functional/expressive approach,

But it's a good quote as it reinforces what I was saying, and might well use it in my longer version.

Back