What kit?

Edit My Images
Yes
I apologise in advance if this topic has been covered before (which I'm sure probably has happened) but I need your expertise!

I want to buy some cheap but decent lights for home use on portraits and people and I have no idea on where to start?

Umberellas/soft box/ honeycomb whatsit.... :shrug:

Should I be looking at a certain wattage - My previous experience is just to stick someone infront of the window but England being England this means I get about an hour a day of light!!! :D

As I said I am really sorry if this question has been asked before and if it has maybe some could post a link and I also hope I've been specific enough in my requirements for someone to answer!?!

Thankyou (and Happy New Year!) (y)

Hey, no worries! I'd suggest that you get at least two flash heads, and if you're going to be doing portrait/small scale indoor setups, then 100-150watts per head is plenty. To make it easy, as for the accessories, I'd personally reccomend you get two types of brollies, one just a plain white example, and the other metallic silver backed, maybe even a gold backed one, too, as brollies are one of the least expensive accessories and are really the best and easiest IMO.
Softboxes can be quite pricey, and then the issue of compatibility comes into play with what type of lights you have, as they have to be able to fit onto your flash heads...and also brollies can give the same effect to a certain degree, and much, much cheaper, and HUGELY easier to use and store away.
There's a company called 'Smick', they have a website and also trade on eBay (smick.co.uk), UK based company whom sells really in-expensive lights, accessories and kits. When I first started out, I bought a duo-flash head kit from them with brollies for around 150GBP, it was very low wattage, but worked very well for portraits, etc. And EASY to use.
I jotted down a list of what maybe a really good selection to add to your kit:

2 x flash heads - http://www.smick.co.uk/sonline/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=314 (in-expensive and good amount of power)

2 x light stands - http://www.smick.co.uk/sonline/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=230

2 x white brollies - http://www.smick.co.uk/sonline/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=277

1 x silver brolly - http://www.smick.co.uk/sonline/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=276

1 x snoot, which is compatible with the flash head i mentioned above - http://www.smick.co.uk/sonline/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=316

1 x some gels & honeycomb, also compatible - http://www.smick.co.uk/sonline/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=315

their prices are very in-expensive! hope this helps & good luck!

OMG Thankyou so much!!! (y)

(I was checking Smick out on Ebay!!)

(y)(y)(y)

Hi,
I was in a similar position last year:) I ended up getting the elinchrom D-dite 2 set which included 2x200w flash heads 2x standards 2x softboxes ( which are collapsible) power cables flash sync leads protective carry case for the heads and carry case for the stands and soft boxes, I also brought the skyport radio triggers and sekonic l308s light meter I paid approx £650 for the whole lot. I would recommend this to anyone.
What I would say about cheap flash heads is that when you reduce the power the colour temerture changes so you would have to bare this is mind.

I would also look at warehouse express's website as they have some good reviews on the different lighting kits they do.

Is the Smick stuff any good? I have been looking at the interfit ex150 kit at £199. How does this kit compare?

Is the Smick stuff any good? I have been looking at the interfit ex150 kit at £199. How does this kit compare?

I've got quite a few Interfit Stellar flash heads, and obviously Interfit is a better brand, but it all depends on what you want I guess. Smick's stuff is good for the money, I mean don't expect it to be Elinchrom level, but it does the job! And two 150w heads on Smick will run you about 150gbp plus the stands. I had a look at the EX flash heads at a local shop here, their quality seemed to be lacking something, as compared to all their other models.

interfit heads lacking in quality to what though? There arent many kits around that can match the interfit for the price?

i guess maybe it was the fact that you couldn't really use many accessories with them, nor did interfit offer as many as they do with their other lines, etc. personally, stellar is a much better line from them. they're easily compatible with lots of other brands of accessories and interfit makes many to go with them, etc. though i guess just depends what you're after! good value for money at least, though

I have got the D-Lite 2 kit. Brilliant piece of kit

I had the D-Lite 2 head kit, also...was a nice set and good way of trying out Elinchrom...since then have half Elinchrom and half Interfit, lol.

Hi,
I was in a similar position last year I ended up getting the elinchrom D-dite 2 set which included 2x200w flash heads 2x standards 2x softboxes ( which are collapsible) power cables flash sync leads protective carry case for the heads and carry case for the stands and soft boxes, I also brought the skyport radio triggers and sekonic l308s light meter I paid approx £650 for the whole lot. I would recommend this to anyone.
What I would say about cheap flash heads is that when you reduce the power the colour temerture changes so you would have to bare this is mind.

I would also look at warehouse express's website as they have some good reviews on the different lighting kits they do.

Dave

Dave are you saying that you had this problem(temp change)with the elinchrom D-dite 2 set ?

Dave are you saying that you had this problem(temp change)with the elinchrom D-dite 2 set ?

No I have not had this problem with the Elinchrom D-lite 2, sorry if I didn't phrase it very well, I have seen results with units from ebay and other cheaper units that have suffered from this problem. The elinchroms have some electronic wizardry that stops it from what I understand.

I have the Interfit EX150 kit and have found it to be quite good. Its not as good as D-Lites but then its quite a bit cheaper.

One of mine went wrong, and Interfit replaced it with no quibble with a 3 day turnaround.

If you are on a tight budget you could look at these, he's got lots of packages with softbox's etc for what seem good prices.
I think someone else on the forum has some and thinks they are ok. In the end I went with 2 sb600's to go with my sb800 (mainly for the convenience of portability + ability to use CLS if i want). good luck with whatever you choose(y)

I want to buy some cheap but decent lights for home use on portraits and people and I have no idea on where to start?

First thing I'd say is do you really need to buy? How often are you going to use them and have you enough room to store them?

You can hire lighting to play around with and/or hire a studio. Okay, a cheap set of lights will cost not much more than 3 or 4 sessions woith hired gear, but the difference is that you'll have been using decent kit and will have a much better idea of what kit you really do need and whether or not you'll use it enough to justify the expense.

I scouted a studio yesterday for the above reasons. I really don't want any more kit to have to find somewhere to store it and by using a studio I can use much better equipement in a much better space than I could afford myself.

Back