What lens (canon dslr fit) for indoor interview video?

Edit My Images
No
I have a 5Dc for photos and was thinking of picking up a 550d or something similar to start getting into filming (primarily will be starting with interview type stuff). My question is, would either of my current wide lenses suffice? I have a 17-40f4 and a 50mmf1.8. I was thinking something like a prime 24mm ish f2.8 lens might be better on a crop sensor body, but having never used video on a dslr before, am I right? Does anyone use the 17-40 or 50mm on a crop sensor body for videos, and how are the results?
Thanks

50mm is fine for what you want.
Can you add a lavalier for sound?

The challenge is lighting. Check out the basic interview lighting videos on the BBC College of Production website.

st599 said:
50mm is fine for what you want.
Can you add a lavalier for sound?

The challenge is lighting. Check out the basic interview lighting videos on the BBC College of Production website.

That's great to know. Not going to be able to lav mic it but certainly hoping for an external mic attached the the dslr. Thanks for the lighting tip, much appreciated.

Just out of interest, if I were to start using my 17-40 if i were looking at wider shots, would it hold up ok?

That's great to know. Not going to be able to lav mic it but certainly hoping for an external mic attached the the dslr. Thanks for the lighting tip, much appreciated.

Just out of interest, if I were to start using my 17-40 if i were looking at wider shots, would it hold up ok?

Yes, you couldn't achieve the same shallow depth of field so will need to choose your background and may need a bit higher ISO or more light.

One thing to note is these lenses aren't parfocal - with a proper video lens you can focus at one focal length, zoom in/out and it will be in focus still - this won't work for this lens. You need to check focus at each focal length.

Finally the BBC CoP site will also have some videos on composition of interviews, angles make it interesting, but the wrong ones confuse.

One thing to note is these lenses aren't parfocal - with a proper video lens you can focus at one focal length, zoom in/out and it will be in focus still - this won't work for this lens. You need to check focus at each focal length.

of course, as a general rule... don't zoom.

50mm may be a bit long on crop, depends how big the room is and how much of a person you want. Million ways to shoot an interview.

Back