What lens for studio?

Name
Shane
Edit My Images
No
I have the lens' in my signature, are these suitable for studio photography?
I'm interested in fashion, portrait, lingerie etc.

I want to get something that would be good enough for my portfolio and the models.

50mm F1.8D I reckon... if you need to go wider you have the kit lens which is pretty good, and the 50mm will probably help you frame up shots (being a prime lens its gets you moving around) you wouldn't normally think of.

I'm constantly amazed by the 50mm 1.8D but if you have a small room to work in it may get a bit close. Still, its quite flattering (wider angles make things like noses appear bigger and rounder) and very sharp in the center and oozes character...

How much were you intending on spending anyway?

The least i can get away with, maybe £200 ish?

I wouldnt have AF with the 50mm f1.8 on a D40x would i?

No, you wouldn't that is true but I don't think it's hard to manually focus with that lens - just get the eyes in focus and set it to F4 and you should get super sharp shots with what I think is a really good DOF for portraits.

I use to use my 70-300 APO Macro Sigma lens without AF and got some great shots. Manually focussing because you have to soon becomes easy whereas if you have the option of AF'ing then you tend to never do it. It's only really on very wide or very long focal lengths that I think MF'ing becomes much harder.

£60-75 should get you a 50mm F1.8D but otherwise I guess if you're only after AF lenses then you'll miss out on some of the better and more charismatic primes imo.

Checkout the 'nifty fifty' thread for some great examples of how brilliant it is, especially considering the price!

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=23177

Back