What lens sould I buy next

Edit My Images
No
:shrug:Hi all,
I'm currently using a canon 40D and I have the efs 17-85 mm f/4-5.6 IS UMS and efs 10-22mm f/3.5 -4.5 IS USM.

I will be looking for a larger focal lenght but I'm unsure about what to look at.
I try my hand at all sorts of photography so I don't have any special requirements.

Firstly I'm not sure what focal length I sould go for and I'm not sure about the pros and cons of zoom vs fixed focal lenght

To help me decide I do have a question which someone on here will be able to answer.

I believe I am correct in thinking that EFS lenses are only able to be used on cropped frame cameras such as the 40D.

Do EF lenses work correctly with these camaras?

I won't say money is no object as I don't have a budget yet. I want to work out what would be an ideal lens and then start looking at prices of new and secondhand.

What you you guys buy to compliment my existing equipment

EF and EF-s lens' work fine on cameras such as the 40d. It's just EF-s lenses are not compatable with 1.0x, and 1.3x cameras, such as the 5d1/2, and the 1d/1ds series. EF-s work on the XXXd series, and also the XXd series.

It looks like you've got the 10-85mm sorted.

Have you ever lacked a bit of reach? If so, i think some sort of 70-200L is in order :)

Oh, and i never knew that the 10-22 had IS ;)

I'd say first thing is what focal lengh are you missing? For birds plenty of people recommend the 400mm f5.6 as an 'affordable-ish' top quality long distance prime.

The 70-200L lenses would complement your current range nicely, but if you would never use that range or always end up at 200mm then......

You could also consider Macro, Low light primes, but it really depends what you want it for, indoor \ outdoor, motosport, wildlife, landscapes etc...

The 70-200L certainly offers great quality, for extra reach there are the 75-300 options or my personal favourite for wildlife - the 400 f/5.6L

Thanks for your replies

Your right the 10-22 does not have IS. A typo on my part.

I have found myself short of lenght but I'm not sure if I would get enough from a 200.

I would like to have a go at some general wildlife shots but I'm not sure how much lenght I need to get decent shots without disturbing the subject.

I may hire a lens or two to try them out and see what I like but I need some suggestion

for hire try http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/

I find generally 200mm short got birds, however it's ok for the garden and parks etc were birds are not too scared of you, however the 400mm f5.6 is what I'm saving for, seen consistently good results from it and the extra reach would def help me.

Obvious answer is EF 70-300 IS. That's the one Canon intended to go with the two you already have, and very good it is too.

you don't mention a budget, have you considered the 100-400. It is great for wildlife, motorsport and airshows a very versatile lens.

It does like light though and the only way to improve is to look at the prime route.

As above really, 70-300IS, 70-200 L, 100-400L or primes, very difficult to choose as budget is a major factor as 70-300IS is around £410 and 100-400 £1200 (camera price buster for quick referrance).

Depending what you are planing to use the extra focal length for may eliminate some choice - 200mm can be too short for birds (re akr). Once you've a budget and use in mind, it helps a lot :clap:

Are primes suitable for long distance subjects? I would have thought it would be very difficult to get the right distance away from say a deer if you are restricted to a road siding in the Yorkshire dales for example. A zoom would be ideal i would have thought.

Just thinking out loud here!

Are primes suitable for long distance subjects? I would have thought it would be very difficult to get the right distance away from say a deer if you are restricted to a road siding in the Yorkshire dales for example. A zoom would be ideal i would have thought.

Just thinking out loud here!

There are very few zooms longer than 400mm, and none of them seems very popular - basically only Sigma. They are not as sharp as primes and are heavy.

As a general rule with wildlife, you can't have too much focal length and reach is quite often limited by budget rather than want/need. Wildlifers quite often use crop cameras because they are cheaper way of getting effectively a longer lens.

Back