what lens will i need for athletics photography?

Name
jamie unwin
Edit My Images
No
hi, i was wondering what sort of lens i would need if i was taking pictures at an athletics event, where i am able to get right up close to the action. I have seen pros using huge tele photo lenses (200mm, 300mm lenses) and i can't quite understand why they use these, :thinking: as they are right up close to the action. so if you have got any ideas of what lenses i should use please tell me. thanks

They use them to fill the frame. You should gat away with a 70-200 a f2.8 if poss to give you the speed.
Good luck.

They use them to fill the frame. You should gat away with a 70-200 a f2.8 if poss to give you the speed.
Good luck.

I agree. If you are really close, that lens will give you great shots. Always go for a "fast" lens......sports events are often held in conditions not condusive to photography!! :LOL: A 1.4 x converter is also useful, just in case.

Were are you shooting from and what are your shooting.

Track-side and shooting runners a 70-200 will be fine, but on the in-field and shooting Javelin at least a 300mm as they won't let you get too close.

As other have said a longer lens to fill the frame and fast glass to freeze the action like my long jumper shot

Camera: Canon EOS 30D EF 70-200 2.8 L + 1.4 Teleconverter
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture: f/4.5
Focal Length: 225 mm
ISO Speed: 200

2843685111_0973128499.jpg

Theres a few things like javelin that you might want to get the athletes face on but you dont want to be hit by the big pointy thing... 300-400 lens are life savers :)

try 80-200 2.8 will be cheaper

nikon or canon?

Remember that a pro photographer might not be shooting with an smaller sensor (which gives you the 1.6x crop). On a full-frame camera, a 300mm 2.8 lens will give you a true 300mm, whereas on a 1.6x sensor you could potentially fill the frame at 200mm by comparison.

Back