What location details do you get/like when planning a shoot?

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok we all see some very nice photos on here and the internet in general which gives us an idea on where to go and take a photo, but what info do you generally record to get to that location.

I look on google to try and find out about the location and what area of the country it is in, then I check out google maps to see if I can spot a good location and used to use TPE for sunrise/sunset directions. I take a note of the lat/long from google and a post code of a nearby town or car park.

But living in Milton Keynes I have to drive a fair distant to get to the nice locations and I find that post codes are not that good out in the country side (covering a large area due to lack of houses).
I have a very old gps system, that take different co-ordinates to google, which are also different to what lightroom records.

I try to record these details in a spreadsheet and plan routes between local locations.

Do other togs get as frustrated just trying to find the nice locations.
What do you do

Thanks for your idea and tips.
Pete

Look at a map (one of those funny old fashioned concertina folded paper things)..........................?
Satnav could never get me to most of the places I go to.
Google maps satellite view is useful for finding parking places, looking at how road junctions are signposted (if they are) etc, but planning is done with a map and notebook.

Do you have a smart phone with GPS & Google Maps installed? If so you can use that as a sat nav and might be more useful for directing you to things you've seen on g maps.

Google StreetView can be very handy for specifics around the location - parking spaces, what the junctions/area looks like which can be particularly handy if (as you'd expect) you're navigating to a space in the back end of nowhere.

Agree with Jan. There is so much detail on OS maps and you get a wider picture than Sat Nav. I'm not anti sat nav, they are excellent.

To save a bit I use Bing Maps which, if you zoom in enough, can show the OS map. If you want cheap paper maps have a look at http://dash4it.co.uk/

Dave

As with Dave it's all about OS maps for me. I find it easier to do a bit of PC based scouting with Bing OS maps, which I record to a master Google map, which i now have different layers on for different regions. When I then want to go on a trip I mark the physical OS map with the target(s) and any relevant details.

If your GPS takes you to a different place than you expect it to, check the datum it's set to. It's easy enough to check you're in the correct spot using a map (or maritime chart if using lat/long) and finding a distinctive landmark. GPS is generally accurate to about 10m or so once set to the correct datum.

http://www.gpsu.co.uk/datums.html

Back