What mic

Probably the most popular mic for on camera use is the Rhode Video Mic. It's about £85. This is a mono mic, so if you want stereo opt for either the Rhode Stereo Video Mic for about £150 or the Senheiser 400 at about £230.

All these fit onto the hot shoe of the camera, which means that for good quality you need to be fairly near the subject.If you want to use off camera mics then its a whole new ball game . However I've used the Rhode mic off camera with an extension lead with some success.

Which ever mic you go for budget for a "Dead Cat" wind muff if you are going to use it out of doors.

These are just some quick suggestions, but without knowing exactly what you want to do it's all I can suggest.

I'm on a Rode Video Mic.

I used the RVM firstly with just the foam muffler fitted and the sound was good but there was still too much wind noise. The dead cat is a must - really kills the wind noise and gives a softer, smooth vocal, although I'll say that the overall sound isn't impressive - it's a bit flat and lacking bass, issues that can obvously be tweaked in software to an extent.

A mate has a Hanhel one that was about £65 and the sound seems good through his 5D.

Last edited:
Rode videomic is a solid one - if you want stereo i actually use the nikon stereo mic me-1 - it's pretty good and tiny!
Also look at getting a zoom h1 for external sound - really adds to the sound quality and with utilities like pluraleyes syncing is pretty good.
hope that helps

I have a 5d3 which is reputed to have better sound than the 2 but I still found it unacceptably hissy.

I eventually ended up with a Juicedlink pre amp which can take XLR mics and massively reduces the noise levels.

Having said that even any old mic pulled directly into the camera will be a big improvement over the onboard sound.

Any recomendations on a mic for a eos 5d mk2??

You don't mention what kind of mike your after, ie directional-surround -stereo etc. Without knowing this any recommendations although ok may not meet your needs.

Again how much your wanting to pay reflects on the quality of sound it will record. I wanted a directional mike so went for the Sennheiser 400 which although comes with a muffler it stil gets considerable wind noise through it so I also purchased a proper muffler.

Realspeed

Hi,

I hope I'm not hijacking this post, but on the subject of microphones, I have a question if you don't mind.

I'm interested in a cheap-ish (up to £100) wired tie-clip mic to record voice only for simple YouTube videos. I'm not interested in any other sound so i don't think the Rode is the one for me. I have an EOS 5D MarkII and recording to the built-in mic jack would be ideal. A good long cable would be useful to me too.

Any ideas, suggestions or recommendations???

Thanks.

Harma do a reasonable one for a price a lot lower than you are looking at. It's about £28.00. OK not great but for simple You Tube video's it should be fine. I've one and for the price the quality is fine. OK not up to Senheisser quality but do you need it. For You Tube it's fine. Comes with a 3M cable.

Be a bit wary of the 5Dll AGC though can put some annoying hiss into the quiet parts of the sound track. Fine if no ones is talking as you can usually mute that part but can be anoying at low levels.

The key thing here is quite what OP wants to shoot. So far there's been a lot of answers, without knowing what he actually wants to do with it!

A rode videomic sat on top of your camera is FAR from a good way to get sound for most stuff.

sturousephoto said:
Hi,

I hope I'm not hijacking this post, but on the subject of microphones, I have a question if you don't mind.

I'm interested in a cheap-ish (up to £100) wired tie-clip mic to record voice only for simple YouTube videos. I'm not interested in any other sound so i don't think the Rode is the one for me. I have an EOS 5D MarkII and recording to the built-in mic jack would be ideal. A good long cable would be useful to me too.

Any ideas, suggestions or recommendations???

Thanks.

Have a look at one of these:

http://www.studiospares.com/mics-other/audio-technica-atr3350/invt/447050/

This is my 'go to' mic for capturing speech during video shoots.

.....I'm interested in a cheap-ish (up to £100) wired tie-clip mic to record voice only for simple YouTube videos /clip/....

I use one from Maplin - £18 and a 4m cable. Sound quality if pretty good, good enough anyway for web stuff. I ruined the first one pulling the jack plug out of the camera by accidentally tugging the wire but the second one works fine. Quite a good sound really from such a cheap mic and obviously, once one citing software, I then just convert to dual mono

Back