What mode do people shoot in for weddings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Just out of curiosity what do you wedding togs like to shoot in, I.e manual or somthing preset? Also is there a lens you favour?

popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

I dont do weddings but I can answer your question... Ask 100 people what mode they shoot in and you will get a useless variety of answers and the best one wil be.. whatever mode suits the situation.. A camera has many settings and a good profesional photogrpaher will utilise whichever settings are required for the job...

Not much help if your looking for a concencus I know... but thats the proper answer IMHO :)

It was posted in Talk Beginners..

Somehow, that's actually more worrying rather than less.. .. ;)

And if we were in talk business it would be the tin hat smiley if I could find it..

Camera modes are irrelevant. There's no more answer than that (alright I can't help myself).

Apart from anything else, there's no such thing as 'wedding photography', it's not like aircraft, macro or birds in flight.

We shoot:
Macro
Interiors
Exteriors
Still life
Natural light portraits indoors
Natural light portraits outdoors
Flash lit portraits indoors
Flash lit portraits outdoors
Fill flash balanced portraits
All the above candid and posed.

Do you still think there's a quick cheat sheet of modes or settings?

I shoot crop and my most used lens is the 17-55, but I couldn't do it without the other 4 lenses I also take, or the flash guns, stands, reflectors, etc...

And spares of all the important stuff.

Camera modes are irrelevant. There's no more answer than that (alright I can't help myself).

Apart from anything else, there's no such thing as 'wedding photography', it's not like aircraft, macro or birds in flight.

We shoot:
Macro
Interiors
Exteriors
Still life
Natural light portraits indoors
Natural light portraits outdoors
Flash lit portraits indoors
Flash lit portraits outdoors
Fill flash balanced portraits
All the above candid and posed.

Do you still think there's a quick cheat sheet of modes or settings?

I shoot crop and my most used lens is the 17-55, but I couldn't do it without the other 4 lenses I also take, or the flash guns, stands, reflectors, etc...

And spares of all the important stuff.

Im sorry I dont understand 'there is no such thing as wedding photography' surly you would use different lenses and settings shooting a wedding then you would shooting aircrafts!!!
And what is the relevance of listing other things that you can shoot! Its a camera you can take a pic of what ever the hell you want, my question as a beginner was about weddings and settings you may use! I dont even shoot weddings I was merely intrigued to how much you change settings through the day or is there a shutter speed you try to stick to and change others to suit ect!
Whats the point in trying to learn when you get stupid answers like yours!

I dont do weddings but I can answer your question... Ask 100 people what mode they shoot in and you will get a useless variety of answers and the best one wil be.. whatever mode suits the situation.. A camera has many settings and a good profesional photogrpaher will utilise whichever settings are required for the job...

Not much help if your looking for a concencus I know... but thats the proper answer IMHO :)
Thanks for a more constructive answer

Im sorry I dont understand 'there is no such thing as wedding photography' surly you would use different lenses and settings shooting a wedding then you would shooting aircrafts!!!
And what is the relevance of listing other things that you can shoot! Its a camera you can take a pic of what ever the hell you want, my question as a beginner was about weddings and settings you may use! I dont even shoot weddings I was merely intrigued to how much you change settings through the day or is there a shutter speed you try to stick to and change others to suit ect!
Read it again:
That's a list of techniques/genres shot during a wedding. A very constructive answer ;)

Last edited:
And what is the relevance of listing other things that you can shoot
You have so totally missed Phil's point.

He gave you a list of the different types of photography he would be doing in the course of a wedding. It's obvious that you wouldn't use the same lens or settings for all those different types of shots. So there's no simple, single answer to your question.

I think you owe him an apology.

Last edited:

Thanks for a more constructive answer

Bobby, both have said almost exactly the same thing, in a different way. Phil is trying to explain in more detail what Tony said, there is no particular settings wedding photographers will use, because of the vast range of things that have to be photographed - unlike shooting aircraft where parameters are generally far more limited. A wedding photographer will use umpteen different settings and adjust which ever settings suit depending on the situation and camera/lens choice for it. You will find very few indeed that opt for one thing being constant and changing others, all settings will be changing throughout the day. Yes, it is just a camera, you can take a pic of what you want, but across a day, the equipment used and settings opted for cannot be summed up in a simple 'oh the best setting is' type of answer, because 'best settings' in wedding photography simply don't exist, which is what Phil was explaining, you are simply asking about too broad a subject. Pretty certainTony would tell you the same about 'sports photgraphy', no 'best settings' there either as you could be photographing anything from tiddlywinks to motor racing.

So, if your aim is to learn more, then you might be better served finding out more about more specific scenarios you are interested in photographing. :)

You have so totally missed Phil's point.

He gave you a list of the different types of photography he would be doing in the course of a wedding. It's obvious that you wouldn't use the same lens or settings for all those different types of shots. So there's no simple, single answer to your question.

I think you owe him an apology.
Ha yes ok mum

Read it again:
That's a list of techniques/genres shot during a wedding. A very constructive answer ;)
Anyway yep sorry I didn't read that right I read it as that its not just wedding's you do and gave me a list, I didn't see the relevance to what you do during a wedding.

Anyway yep sorry I didn't read that right I read it as that its not just wedding's you do and gave me a list, I didn't see the relevance to what you do during a wedding.
So you can see how 'what mode' and 'what settings' questions are a bit wide of the mark and why they draw all the talk of popcorn and tin hats.

Bobby, both have said almost exactly the same thing, in a different way. Phil is trying to explain in more detail what Tony said, there is no particular settings wedding photographers will use, because of the vast range of things that have to be photographed - unlike shooting aircraft where parameters are generally far more limited. A wedding photographer will use umpteen different settings and adjust which ever settings suit depending on the situation and camera/lens choice for it. You will find very few indeed that opt for one thing being constant and changing others, all settings will be changing throughout the day. Yes, it is just a camera, you can take a pic of what you want, but across a day, the equipment used and settings opted for cannot be summed up in a simple 'oh the best setting is' type of answer, because 'best settings' in wedding photography simply don't exist, which is what Phil was explaining, you are simply asking about too broad a subject. Pretty certainTony would tell you the same about 'sports photgraphy', no 'best settings' there either as you could be photographing anything from tiddlywinks to motor racing.

So, if your aim is to learn more, then you might be better served finding out more about more specific scenarios you are interested in photographing. :)
Ok good stuff. I think in my head I was thinking more about posed and candid shots of the day and not all the fancy (not as a bad thing) other shots that you may do.
Think I will ditch this thread before it goes pear shaped.
I suppose it was just a novice question to a reply of a non-novice answer.
Thanks anyway guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back