What monitor(s) do you have?

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Been using an iMac for years so it's a l-o-n-g time since I bought a monitor. But looking at moving to M$ so.....

What monitor(s) do you have? Do you recommend it?

I have an old Dell 27 inch that I can use for palettes/Netflix so I'm looking for a primary editing monitor. However, most of my work ends up being viewed on office PCs so I don't believe I need all the extended RGB stuff. What shall I buy?

BenQ 271 4k, 27" monitor is my main, with twin Dell U2515H 25" monitors either side (1 dedicated and 1 doubles as a work monitor/3rd monitor). I find multiple screens work much better than 1 huge one.

BenQ 271 4k, 27" monitor is my main, with twin Dell U2515H 25" monitors either side (1 dedicated and 1 doubles as a work monitor/3rd monitor). I find multiple screens work much better than 1 huge one.

Wow - that's a about £2K worth of telly :)

Yes I like 2 (or more) screens for stuff like invoicing and playing with Excel. But Apple forced me to use 1 screen of years and now I find Photoshop OK on one screen.

Loads, but my desk, 40in 4K Philips, and a 27in cintiq. The rest are pretty much all lace and very random, we did get a benq self calibrating beast for one critical print job, but the rest are “bog” standard stuff.

Last edited:
Been using an iMac for years so it's a l-o-n-g time since I bought a monitor. But looking at moving to M$ so.....

What monitor(s) do you have? Do you recommend it?

I have an old Dell 27 inch that I can use for palettes/Netflix so I'm looking for a primary editing monitor. However, most of my work ends up being viewed on office PCs so I don't believe I need all the extended RGB stuff. What shall I buy?

If most of you work is web viewed then get a figure and simply buy the best you can, colour accuracy isn’t an issue. A couple of hundred quid get a nice 31.5iin acer from scan :)

Last edited:
Dell U2412M. Had it for 4 years and still very happy with it. 1920:1200 resolution is much nicer than a wider style.

Dell U2412M. Had it for 4 years and still very happy with it. 1920:1200 resolution is much nicer than a wider style.
Plus one on this! I forgot to mention, do not get wide screen monitors, I found it’s totally alien to work in excessive widescreen, sure you can have 3 a4 docs open but it felt so wrong, we ditched that monitor very quickly indeed.

Two Dell Ultrasharp IPS monitors. One is 27" 1440p and the other is 24" 1080p.

Bought them both used because they are a rip off new

If most of you work is web viewed then get a figure and simply buy the best you can, colour accuracy isn’t an issue. A couple of hundred quid get a nice 31.5iin acer from scan :)

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I know colour accuracy is nice but if people are going to use them on office screens and then push them about for publishing then colour accuracy isn't that important.

Plus one on this! I forgot to mention, do not get wide screen monitors, I found it’s totally alien to work in excessive widescreen, sure you can have 3 a4 docs open but it felt so wrong, we ditched that monitor very quickly indeed.

The one thing I like about widescreen is that if you can rotate them, they make great monitors for retouching portrait formats on.

Just checked and the spare I have is a U2312 - made in 2012 :)

Benq Sw2700. Its been absolutely fantastic and if its useful to you, comes with a hood too. It calibrates really nicely using the included i1 I got.

Benq Sw2700. Its been absolutely fantastic and if its useful to you, comes with a hood too. It calibrates really nicely using the included i1 I got.

Second this monitor, I have a couple of these and am really pleased with them, much better than the Dell ultra sharps I was using previously.

Second this monitor, I have a couple of these and am really pleased with them, much better than the Dell ultra sharps I was using previously.

Hmm, Benqs are looking a popular choice - thanks :)

You can usually just wipe Macs and install Windows straight on to them, as they are basically PCs made with Foxconn internal components. That way, you can keep your screen (and computer) at zero cost.

I've had a Dell P2715Q for a few years now and very happy with it, plus a pair for 2209WA. None of them are current models.

You can usually just wipe Macs and install Windows straight on to them, as they are basically PCs made with Foxconn internal components. That way, you can keep your screen (and computer) at zero cost.

I've had a Dell P2715Q for a few years now and very happy with it, plus a pair for 2209WA. None of them are current models.
That's sacrilege :(

Well not quite free - a shrink wrap of Win10 costs between 60 and 100 more if you buy it without hardware. Also, that would leave me running the same hardware.

do you really need to move to M$, is it a software issue or a price constraint. Personally I would never, ever use a PC with Windows after having use MacOS for all these years. the beauty of Macs are that they last so much longer than M$ boxes and to be honest, they also hold their value if you decide to sell, not to mention the ease of use of the actual OS itself. I'm pretty sure there will be those that come along and advocate a case for a M$ purchase but to be honest I think you might regret it in the future, even Win 10 is a pile of crap, and yes, I have used it on numerous occasions, it's just not for me.

do you really need to move to M$, is it a software issue or a price constraint. Personally I would never, ever use a PC with Windows after having use MacOS for all these years. the beauty of Macs are that they last so much longer than M$ boxes and to be honest, they also hold their value if you decide to sell, not to mention the ease of use of the actual OS itself. I'm pretty sure there will be those that come along and advocate a case for a M$ purchase but to be honest I think you might regret it in the future, even Win 10 is a pile of crap, and yes, I have used it on numerous occasions, it's just not for me.

Well, I'll be happy to sell you my 2012 iMac :) It's really a lovely machine but the Mac version of Excel is like Excel 2010 and I'm not allowed to upgrade the 1TB drive it was born with. My accountant says it's time to spend some money - but a starting price of £3K for a machine Apple says is obsolete doesn't seem like the smartest buy.

the beauty of Macs are that they last so much longer than M$ boxes
I just (two months ago) retired the PC I built in 2010, so I don't think nine years is bad. I imagine you got much longer out of your Mac though.

hi Jonathan

would love your iMac but I have no space on my desk (2 x 27" Dells). ;)

FWIW you can upgrade the 1TB hard drive to a SSD and that would give you a vast improvement. Also the latest version of Excel is available for Mac here

BUT if your accountant says spend money, then so be it, never go against an accountants advice :)

NEC Multisync EA 231WMi, had it for ages and is very, very good!

FWIW you can upgrade the 1TB hard drive to a SSD and that would give you a vast improvement. Also the latest version of Excel is available for Mac here

That's the exact version I have. Compared to the PC version, it is pitiful.

As for upgrading to an SSD, well Apple say it "mustn't" be done and make it relatively hard - iFixit list 43 steps and class it as "hard" whilst warning of all the bits you can easily break while doing it. Last time I costed it for somebody else to take the risk, it came in at around £500 including fitting and that's just stupid.

That's the exact version I have. Compared to the PC version, it is pitiful.

As for upgrading to an SSD, well Apple say it "mustn't" be done and make it relatively hard - iFixit list 43 steps and class it as "hard" whilst warning of all the bits you can easily break while doing it. Last time I costed it for somebody else to take the risk, it came in at around £500 including fitting and that's just stupid.
I don't know how the 2012 differs from the 2011 with looking into it but I did an SSD upgrade on a work 2011 iMac a few months back. iFixit also rate it hard but with fewer steps but in all honesty as long as you take your time, keep your screws safe and double check everything - it's fine to do. I have taken laptops apart before for upgrades but never a Mac until this. The guide was excellent. Ideally, if you don't want to do it, find a friend and ask them - it will only cost you a dinner ;).

if you don't want to do it, find a friend and ask them - it will only cost you a dinner ;).

Yeah, it's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.....

It's not hard as in "digging ditches in the rain" hard. It's hard in that there's a chance of breaking the whole machine (or causing so much damage that the cost of repairing it outweighs the residual value). I'll buy a friend dinner - but I wouldn't put them in a position where they could accidentally break the screen on my work computer in exchange.

No they are pcs made with pc components. They might have a custom Foxconn mobo but only to make it fit into a custom sized case. Otherwise it’s the same cpu, ram, ssd’s etc with + 300% Apple tax.

Back