What Monitor???

fraggle101

Not a mermaid
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Guys, which is the best montor to get?? i maybe getting a second monitor but i would like to get one that is good for imaging...

Any ideas???

Oh, price range between upto £300... (y)

probably DELL 2007WFP, S-IPS panel

I have one of those and it is indeed a very nice monitor for the money. Make sure you get a monitor calibrator as well as you might as well buy some old pile of do-do if you're not going to calibrate it.

So, Dell it is..

Iv read a review on this monitor and they say the earlier models have issues with colour banding, but has been all but fixed with later models and software fixes..

Iv seen a couple on Fleabay and im just trying to decide...

I bought mine in the summer last year and haven't had any issues with banding. Not sure when the monitor was launched but I'm presuming it's not an early release.

It has a 16ms refresh rate.. is there another monitor that faster but just as good??

It has a 16ms refresh rate.. is there another monitor that faster but just as good??

Hasn't caused me any issues but then I only really use it for editing photos rather than gaming. Got to be a compromise somewhere if you want it for both.

I picked up a DELL 2407FPW on here a while back. I can't make comparisons to other monitors but it's fine for me. I run it in a dual setup now...image on the 2407 and pallets on the old screen.....keeps the workspace tidy.

Bob

??? whats the difference between them?? all i can see is its got a fast refresh rate!! 5Ms.. Mmmm...

the difference is in the type of panel used. For greater colour accuracy supposedly a S-IPS is better. TN panels, like the one above generally have poorer viewing angles (probably an issue on larger panels and photo work) and poorer colour reproduction.

Have a read up here http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/faq.htm

I bought a hazro 24" S-IPS screen which I've been so pleased with and I only paid £305 too. It's probably worth getting in touch with the seller (http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/mozilla.firefox) and seeing if he'll sort something out for you, I know he works for Hazro now.

Also, this is a useful thread (albeit in a forum that leans toward gaming - but still plenty of good info there) http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17772691

Something to think about anyway... TFTCentral reviewed the screen quite well and it was better than I expected it to be (plus its huge and really looks the part)

Ok, iv found a Sammy 215TW and its an S-PVA

i take it thats Sammys version of S-IPS???

So, which is better?? the Dell Or th Sammy???

My head hurts!!!

much of a muchness...I would go for the samsung though...where did you find it? I want another one ;) only if it's cheap though

S-PVA isn't quite as good in terms of colour width as IPS, but they do black a bit better (darker)

NEC make amazing IPS panels but you have to pay a premium for them.

That looks good!! a good price too... :thinking:

Check out the Business website of PC-World.

It tends to sell the 'better' stuff your average prole isn't bothered with (such as pro monitors, printers & scanners) Prices & delivery are good too.

http://www.pcwb.com/

Dell 2007WFP is 8ms not 16ms regardless of what DELL specsheet says. The S-IPS panel used is 8ms. Initial 2007WFP models had a early panel which was 16ms and had banding etc but they revised it without revising the documentation in later revisions.

I had 3 (used extensively for gaming and photo editing with no issues at all) and am now on a Hazro 24" S-IPS screen.

Dell 2007WFP is 8ms not 16ms regardless of what DELL specsheet says. The S-IPS panel used is 8ms. Initial 2007WFP models had a early panel which was 16ms and had banding etc but they revised it without revising the documentation in later revisions.

I had 3 (used extensively for gaming and photo editing with no issues at all) and am now on a Hazro 24" S-IPS screen.

All true although input lag is worth considering as it's not just the pixels turning on and off that matter, the whole monitor performance can vary even with fast pixels.

What do you think of the Hazro? for me, it's amazing for the cash... the revised models that are on their way are meant to have the kind of blacks and adjustability of the NEC range too. :)

edit - I'm using mine for GTA too and it does that with aplomb despite the input lag totalling up about 30ms... same with rock band, I notice no lag there either. maybe I'm just getting old..!

Well, you get what you pay for with monitors. I've got a Dell 2407 at home which is great, the new 2408 is also excellant and comes in around £400.

A cheaper alternative is the Hyundai W240D-TN. You can get these for about £300.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-054-HY

Bright, crisp & clear, 3 years warrenty (although with repairtech who take about a 2 week turnaround), good range of connections. Very nice looking as well. We've bought 6 of these at the moment for work and they are performing well, apart from one that failed from new.

The input lag is pretty good, I play games on it like TF2 a lot and have no issues though did have to get used to the resolution and size of the screen coming from a 20" 2007WFP :p

Superb screen I'd say!

Back