What Prime Lens for Motor sport

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I would appreciate your input/recommendations/experiences with Prime lenses in the 500mm range. I am in particular looking at a new Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX DG APO HSM Autofocus Lens to fit a Nikon D200 & D300.

All of my lenses currently are Nikon and this is my first venture outside the "camp".

We shoot mainly in harsh dessert conditions.

Regards,
Chris

Doubt you'd see much difference from the lenses you have already. The "big" sigma stuff pretty much always gets good praise and you only need to look at the price tag to see which are their serious lenses.

Also I thought that sigma make all the nikon lenses anyway, so in a sense it's just more of the same. :)

Also I thought that sigma make all the nikon lenses anyway, so in a sense it's just more of the same. :)
Never heard that before - where did you get that info?

Well I suppose if you dont mind braking your back or parting with your house you could look at the Sigma 300-800MM

-Xclam

Never heard that before - where did you get that info?

From a couple of old hack nikon users actually.

Apparently, all the nikon lenses are made by sigma under licence these days. I don't see why not, there's nowt wrong with sigma production and it's not like nikon shift the volume that canon do to justify the inhouse production needs. ;)

:shrug: it may be rubbish but why not? Panasonic make Leica's, Samsung make most of nearly all tv's etc etc...

I didn't say it was rubbish - just wanted to know your source.

I didn't say it was rubbish

I know...... but it still might well be. ;)

Quite curious now though.....

Perhaps some outraged nikon user will dig up the location of the glass factory now.

Quite curious now though.....

Perhaps some outraged nikon user will dig up the location of the glass factory now.

Nikon started as an optical company in 1917:

nikon said:
About Nikon
Nikon Corporation, a world leader in cameras, imaging and optics, was founded on July 25th, 1917, in Tokyo, Japan. Beginning as an optical firm, Nikon manufactured microscopes, telescopes, surveying equipment and optical measuring devices.

NIKKOR was adopted as the brand name for the company’s line of photographic lenses in the 1930s.
In 1946, the company began producing a 35mm rangefinder camera with an interchangeable lens, the first Nikon camera. The success of the Nikon Rangefinder was followed by the introduction of the classic Nikon F single-lens-reflex (SLR) camera in 1959, built with the technology leadership and precision that characterizes Nikon products.

]cliky

They also manufacture and have a large market share of the spectacle lens market

http://www.nikonoptical.co.uk/

And have a major stake in production and manufacture of medical scientific equipment

Domestic Facilities

Nikon Corporation Precision Equipment Company
Planning and Marketing Department Sales Headquarters and LCD Equipment Division
Fuji Bldg., 2-3, Marunouchi 3-chome, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8331, Japan
Phone: +81-3-3214-1344

Nikon Corporation Kumagaya Plant
Development, design, prototyping and volume production of excimer and i-line NSR steppers
201-9, Miizugahara, Kumagaya, Saitama 360-8559
Phone: +81-48-533-2111

Nikon Corporation Yokohama Plant
Development, prototyping and volume production of LCD steppers
471, Nagaodai-machi, Sakae-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 244-8533
Phone: +81-45-852-2111

Nikon Corporation Sagamihara Plant
Development and manufacture of high-precision glass materials and optical parts
Development and manufacture of high-precision glass materials and optical parts 10-1, Asamizodai 1-chome, Sagamihara, Kanagawa 228-0828
Phone: +81-42-740-6300

Nikon Corporation Mito Plant
Development and design of production equipment and systems
276-6, Motoishikawa-cho, Mito, Ibaraki 310-0843
Phone: +81-29-240-1111

Cool. I'm well aware of Nikon's fine optical heritage and I think I've got nikon lenses in my specs.

None of that says where the lenses are made though does it..... ;);)

Back