What router to replace BT smart hub?

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I have recently moved bat to BT for my broadband after a short stint with Vodafone, however since the change and installing the new BT router I am no longer able to stream music from my network drive. From a bit of digging around on the interweb it seems that the BT smart hub and previous versions of the home hub did not support DLNA, or at best the support is very flaky.

So it looks like a third party router is in order. It seems to be a fairly basic feature so I expect that any router I look at would be up to the job? Other than that I need gigabit LAN ports and dual band is a nice bonus. Doesn't seem like a big ask at all, so I assume a relatively cheap router such as this would be ample?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Ar...&qid=1556097031&s=gateway&sr=8-17-spons&psc=1

Looking at them they can run into the £££'s, not sure what you get for the extra money but I assume it isn't something I need?

I've got a TP-Link VR900 V1 and it's a brilliant piece of kit.
I stream video and audio from my Synology NAS box to my Xbox one and it works flawlessly.
If I wanted to I could plug a USB storage device into the router and that will also work as a media server.
Another great feature is being able to plug my printer into the router and via a small app from TP-Link, it then works like a network printer.
If you are using a fibre service, I'm not sure if the model you are looking at will support it but I know the VR900 V2 would be fine.
I had a BT home hub V4 and then a V5 when it died and DLNA worked with both but the TP-Link is far better router.

Last edited:
From a bit of digging around on the interweb it seems that the BT smart hub and previous versions of the home hub did not support DLNA, or at best the support is very flaky.

I've got a HomeHub 6 and have no issues with DLNA from my Synology, there should be a setting on the NAS with regards to SSDP (Simple Service Discovery Protocol) Advertisment timing, if you can see the option try reducing the timing, mine's running at 920 seconds and works flawlessly.

I've got a TP-Link VR900 V1 and it's a brilliant piece of kit.
I stream video and audio from my Synology NAS box to my Xbox one and it works flawlessly.
If I wanted to I could plug a USB storage device into the router and that will also work as a media server.
Another great feature is being able to plug my printer into the router and via a small app from TP-Link, it then works like a network printer.
If you are using a fibre service, I'm not sure if the model you are looking at will support it but I know the VR900 V2 would be fine.
I had a BT home hub V4 and then a V5 when it died and DLNA worked with both but the TP-Link is far better router.
I've got a HomeHub 6 and have no issues with DLNA from my Synology, there should be a setting on the NAS with regards to SSDP (Simple Service Discovery Protocol) Advertisment timing, if you can see the option try reducing the timing, mine's running at 920 seconds and works flawlessly.
Thanks guys. I am only using a simple WD Mycloud network hard drive, I am not sure how much there is for me to play with there but I will take a look at it before I go buying a new router.

I just assumed it was a router issue as it worked fine before with the vodafone router. There are also seems to be a lot of discussion online where people are having a similar issue, the solution always seems to be a new router. IE. https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-se...Smart-Hub-amp-NAS-Drive-problems/td-p/1823651

Back