What size of image for internet?

Muz

Name
Murray
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks what size of images do you guys upload for your blog or website 700mb? Also what width and height? It's just for people to view.

Thanks

800 x 532 is the size I normally use. The 600 pixel size used on flickr looks more like a large thumbnail than a picture, so 800 is a happy medium and is the default size for pbase.

But it does make a difference to the filesize.

The only thing that will affect the file size is the pixel size of the image and the compression factor. (Things like complex tree branch patterns do not compress as well as a minimalist seascape) As far as I'm aware the dpi data is just "meta" data embedded in the file.

Boliston is right.

Try it yourself.

Take an 800 x 600px image and save as 72ppi.
Now save the same 800x600px image as 300ppi

The actual digital image is exactly the same

The only thing that would change (as noted above) is the physical print size.

Yes it does, ppi is screen resolution, dpi is print resolution.

ppi is IMAGE resolution. dpi is indeed print resolution.

ppi has no effect on the digiital size of your image - only on the physical print

So, what is the considered opinion - 800 longest edge at 72DPI?

Forget the ppi value (please note it's not dpi)

All you need to do is resize in pixels to around between 600pixels and 800 pixels on the longest edge. I prefer smaller images but depends on where you're posting and how you feel about your images being potentially stolen..... Small risk.

To confirm the ppi value does not matter at this stage. a 600px x 400px image @72ppi is exactly the same image as a 600px x 400px @300ppi

Thanks Jim. 600 x 400 at 72ppi it is then:)

Thanks Jim. 600 x 400 at 72ppi it is then:)

like I say forget the ppi - it doesn't matter :)

600x400 @ 72ppi is the exact same image as 600x400 @ 300ppi.

the only thing that matters is the number of pixels.

So just to clarify (because i am utterly rubbish at technical computer type things!). :thinking:

An image resized to between 600 and 800 pixel (on the longest edge) is best for websites,etc (eg;to help prevent images being stolen).

Thanks in advance for putting up with my noobish question!!!

*runs away before a lens cap is chucked at head* :D

Resizingdoes not stop your image being stolen/used by others.

What it does is reduce the overall size of print that could be done

An 800 pixel image could easily be printed as a respectable 6x4 - for some they may be happier with larger but with a much reduced quality.

At 72ppi that image would print at 11" on the longest edge but 72ppi will produce a cr@p print.

At 200ppi you'll getr a 4" print at pretty decent quality and at 300ppi it will be 2.666" on the longest edge.

So that is why the number of pixels is impotrant.

I prefer 600-700 oixels on the longest edge.

What wuill make a big difference in the quality of the oprint is the amount of compression you apply. So an 800px image with a low compression will still print at the sizes above but the quality will be poorer.

Back