What software???

Name
Brad
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and starting to get serious about my photography. I only have a very basic photo editing program on the computer and would like some advice on what to move on to next! Do I get straight in to photoshop or get something a bit better than what I've got and work my way up?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

:)

Did you get software with your camera? Do you shoot RAW?

If you're just starting out I wouldn't bother with Photoshop, I'd go for Photoshop Elements (simpler and cheaper) or possibly The GIMP (free) and use the money saved to buy a lens or two. Either of those will get you the basics that can be carried through to Photoshop.

The other option is something like Aperture (Mac only)/Lightroom (more expensive)/the RAW processing software that came with your camera, it all depends on if you want to spend a long time processing a few shots to get them absolutely 100% perfect or gt through a lot of pictures as quickly as possible...

I dont shoot RAW although I do beleive it gives better results and higher quality pictures. Would like someone to explain to me the advantages of RAW over Jpeg if they would'nt mind. Many thanks in advance! :)

Essentially RAW is the raw image data your sensor captures, whereas JPG is that data processed by your camera.

Shooting RAW gives you complete freedom for processing, so out of the camera the pictures look much worse, but after processing they should look a lot better. It also gives you more freedom to manipulate the image.

There is loads of information about it online though, probably with examples etc...

Back