Beginner What sped light (photoshoot disco)

Name
Damen
Edit My Images
Yes
hi

I have a nikon d3300. Ive been asked to dona photoshoot for a family members 30th birthday party.

Please could i have some advise on what speed gun id need? Im on a budget to be honest.

I dont know if the cameras flash light would be to exposing??

I have a budget of £50

Any advise on taking indoor club/disco shots would be great.

Thanks

You could get a Neewer 985N, does everything you'll need as a starter for a very good price.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but my first choice isn't in your budget :)

You could get a Neewer 985N, does everything you'll need as a starter for a very good price.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but my first choice isn't in your budget :)

thanks Phil :) any experience of snapping a party indoors?? any advise would be great

thanks Phil :) any experience of snapping a party indoors?? any advise would be great
Just a bit :)
This is a start.
If at all possible avoid direct flash. Try bouncing it from walls and or ceiling.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/tutorial-bounce-flash-photography/

If you're new to flash, then the first lesson is that you've got to think about 2 separate exposures. Indoors at a party, that probably means your flash exposure will be the primary one.

I'd put the camera on Manual, choose a medium ISO, a shutter speed below sync (not too low) and an aperture around 5.6 for a reasonable DoF. Experiment with those settings to capture some of the ambient, not to get a well exposed frame.

Then put the flash on, shoot iTTL and adjust your ISO and flash exposure compensation to taste. As above, zoom the flash head and bounce off a surface, my favourite is to stand near a wall and bounce from the wall / ceiling join.

Beyond that there's loads you can do, but depending on your experience, just getting reasonable shots might be enough.

About shutter speed. Phil gave good advise but don't be afraid to try slow shutter speeds and let ambient blurred exposure blend in to your main flash action freezing exposure.
Just know how to get the simple reasonable shots first. And remember to dial back to those settings when you're done playing ;)

http://www.scantips.com/lights/neewer985.html

Oh yes get 8 eneloops. 4 to power it and another 4 as spares.

A matter of taste and opinion. I don't like the plastic dome diffuser but want my light to come 100% from my bounce area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back