What the hell is going on with my memory card? SOLVED DX crop mode

Changed the ISO? Lower ISOs normally compress better so you can get more shots on a card.

Changed the ISO? Lower ISOs normally compress better so you can get more shots on a card.

No, no matter what the iso is the number of pics it can store stays the same. Is it worth mentioning the camera got some light rain on it earlier? litterally not much.

I don't know if it will be the same on your camera, but you weren't previously on a RAW + JPEG setting by any chance were you?

I don't know if it will be the same on your camera, but you weren't previously on a RAW + JPEG setting by any chance were you?

No I wasnt, All the time I have just been shooting Raw 12 bit I have been able to store 250 is. suddenly its now 350. Just checked other memory card and its letting me store more on that too. I just reset the shooting menu and its still the same.

No, no matter what the iso is the number of pics it can store stays the same. Is it worth mentioning the camera got some light rain on it earlier? litterally not much.

Awee bit of rain won't hurt it,my D300 has been drenched (and me with it ) and nothing untoward has happened, sounds more like you've inadvertently changed the file type or something like that...easily done

Awee bit of rain won't hurt it,my D300 has been drenched (and me with it ) and nothing untoward has happened, sounds more like you've inadvertently changed the file type or something like that...easily done

Yeah I just thought I better mention it anyway. I really can't work this out. If anyone has a 4gb memory card and has a Nikon can you please tell me how many it says you can store in RAW 14bit? Mine says 354 with no pics on card. Also I never go throught the menus really so its more unlikely ive changed somehting, hope everythings ok though.

Another thought, iirc the number displayed is just an estimate the camera software makes based on your previous shots, maybe it's done a new calculation :shrug:

:LOL: (y) that'll be it...problem solved!

That sounds quite possible, I never knew anything like that :thinking:

Don't know if Nikons work this way, but on the Sony A700, If I change from RAW to Compressed RAW, I get an extra 100 shots on a 4 gig card. Is there a chance that something similar has happened to yours? :shrug:

That sounds quite possible, I never knew anything like that :thinking:

I'm not 100% sure, just something I was told when I had my D80 - it used to display, say 250 shots on the display, but you'd get 350 out the card and when I asked on one of the Nikon fora that's wht I was told. Could be complete ballhooks, but it sounds plausible...

I'm not 100% sure, just something I was told when I had my D80 - it used to display, say 250 shots on the display, but you'd get 350 out the card and when I asked on one of the Nikon fora that's wht I was told. Could be complete ballhooks, but it sounds plausible...

It does because I always get more than what it first says, I suppose I usually get about 350.

The number of shots you actually get on a card will always vary, but the number of shots displayed on a camera when the card is empty remains constant. At least all mine have anyway.

The number of shots you actually get on a card will always vary, but the number of shots displayed on a camera when the card is empty remains constant. At least all mine have anyway.

Now you mention it Mr Bloefeld, you're quite right :bonk:

You mentioned that your camera got wet. Has the memory card grown because it was watered? It works for weeds.:)

It never did this on my D300 (that I noticed) but maybe its a Nikon thing? Might happen more regularly on a D700? Wheres puddleduck when you need him. And thanks flash for putting this idea across, hopefully this is whats happened.

on my d70 it says 379 shots in raw
but work this one out i,ve just taken 150 shots and it says i can take another 300 weird

on my d70 it says 379 shots in raw
but work this one out i,ve just taken 150 shots and it says i can take another 300 weird

Thats normal. Im not too good on the technical side but 379 is the maximum. Alot of photos you taken will be small because they need less data, like if its a simpler photo with less light and stuff (I might not technically be correct but basically most photos you take wont have that much data so you can take more. e.g. if you take pictures of a black piece of paper it doesn't take up much room on the memory card.

Perhaps your memory card has just "remembered" something :nuts:!?

Have you done the obvious thing and checked the file size of your shots? this might give you an idea if somethings changed somewhere. Wayne

Hi Luke,

My empty 4gb Sandisk cards say 197 shots available using 12 bit lossless compression on a D700, I get around 350 shots on a card though. No help solving the problem though

Hugh

See this doesn't make sense at all. im 4gb 354 14bit RAW lossless compressed!!

The "estimate" is based on the size of the images recorded so far. Low ISO clean images will compress better than high ISO detailed ones.

If you want to see this in action format a card and take a few pictures of a plain wall at the lowest ISO and note the estimated shots.

Now format again switch to the highest ISO and take a few shots of a detailed pattern. Compare the estimate.

Thought it might be. I had a similar thing when I had my D3 set to 5:confused: crop mode and the counter was higher. Glad you've got it sorted and hope you haven't taken too many pics at 5mp.

Thought it might be. I had a similar thing when I had my D3 set to 5:confused: crop mode and the counter was higher. Glad you've got it sorted and hope you haven't taken too many pics at 5mp.

No I just had my Tarom on there because I wanted to test something, its all good.

Back