what to get out the to lens?

Name
Kevin Greaves
Edit My Images
Yes
ok i have always wanted a fisheye lens to bend the pictures but recently ive been advised of the UWA (ultra wide angle) lenses :thinking:

i dont know what the differences are and also how the pictures differ??? :bonk:

can anyone help with examples please as im a newbie to all of this with my canon 350d :help:

Kev

I cant provide examples of both from here, but you should be able to easily google 'fisheye' in google image to find good examples.

The key difference is with straight lines - a fisheye only keeps straight lines 'straight' in the centre of an image - a 180 diagonal distorts all other lines as it portrays 180degrees of the world from bottom left to top right corner.

An UWA or just plain wideangle is (unless otherwise stated) a rectilinlear lens. This means it keeps straight lines straight throughout the field of view. Of course, there will be some distortion and softening at the extremes, but you will definately not get the 'curved' look you seem to be wanting. The following are 12mm (from full frame camera) shots from my gallery on this site. Caveat is they are both fairly rubbish, but i keep my old stuff on here so i can keep reminding myself of progression :)

MG_1360.jpg

MG_3155.jpg

in a nut shell your saying save my money?

I dont know - whats the question?

In your original post did you mean to say you already owned a fisheye? If so i'd say save the momey as you can de-fish a 15mm to a 12mm rectilinear equivalent.

If there was a question i missed..............?

the question was which one is best – you advised neither really ( or there abouts ) :|

Well, if you HAD asked that question (though i still cant find it) I'd have asked what you wanted to use the lens for?

Fisheye lenses are fantastic at conveying depth and are excellent in confined spaces. Used sparingly they can be very artistic.

A wideangle will give you more options - particularly the 12-24 on FF or, if you use an APS-c sized sensor the 10-20 DC.

Give a little detail as to use and tailoring advice will be easier.

Jonny, I do believe that first shot was the one you used to persuade me to buy my 12-24mm! :LOL:

:D yep - sure was!! that room is only 3ft deep:LOL::LOL:

Back