What to hire for safari? (Canon)

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been on a few safaris now, the last one I struggled to get the subjects isolated from the scrubby backgrounds, especially birds and smaller stuff at ground level. I'm going back in June / July and there will be more leaves on the trees, so it'll be more of a problem.

I've got a 7d2, 100-400ii, 70-200 2.8, a x1.4 converter (and a wide zoom) and I'd like either a longer lens or a wider aperture at similar lengths. I can't really afford to buy anything so thought I'd either rent or buy on ebay then re-sell afterwards - which would let me have more practice time before I get there! Size and weight are also a bit of an issue, the bag already weighs a ton...

what would you spend my money on?

(https://www.instagram.com/mike.cambridge for some of my pics)

For safari trips especially where weight is a major problem I went for a 400mm do lens which on my 5d3 could still auto focus with a 2x convertor. OK I'm sure a 600mm f4 would do a better job but the size weight issue then becomes a major problem particularly as we spent most of our time walking. There are images taken with this combination at www.naturalworldimaging.com mainly with a 1.4x converter.
Where are you going.

Last edited:
So as you know this is a list of the kit I took last time. 2x 5d3 bodies, 24-70mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, and the 400mm do f4 lens along with a laptop and various smaller bits and pieces. This was spread as hand luggage between myself and the Mrs. Deep pockets help as well for batteries and other stuff. My usual setup was the 70-200 on one body sharing a harness with the binoculars and the 400mm over my shoulder on a mono pod. I kept the wide angle, batteries, and other bits and pieces in pockets. 2 litres of water in camel bak was very welcome as well in 40c plus everyday. Of course if you're in a vehicle that becomes a bit easier.

Last edited:
{some really good ideas}
cheers Andy, that's very similar to what I do - 100-400 on the 7d2, 70-200 on the 5d3, binos round my neck, wide angle within easy reach just in case.

400 DO looks like a great choice.. I'll start watching ebay!

(love your Mana Pools pics, I was just at the Lower Zambezi park the other side of the river a few months ago - astonishing place!)

So long as you're not worried about the aethsetics of the lens then a mk1 should be around the £16-1700 mark. And the aethsetics are best not to be worrying about whilst out in the bush.
I thought the terrain in some of your images looked like Mana Pools, if you were only the other side of the Zambezie that would explain it.

Not been on Safari myself so bear that in mind.

I found the Canon 400 F4 DO Mk1 to be rather variable in image quality - some are mediocre (certainly worse than your 100-400 Mk2) whilst others are pin sharp. I tried out two examples that outperformed my (then) 600 F4 L IS Mk1 and a couple of others that were pretty poor. So the DO Mk1 is strictly a "Try before you buy" in my view. Just a thought before you spend your pennies.

Another lens to look at is the Canon 500 F4 L IS Mk1 or Mk2. Not stupidly heavy, work well with extenders and fit within most Airline carry on limits.

Yet another thing to check is whether the company you are booked with rent out lenses (many do) or if there is a rental company nearby?

Whatever you decide - HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

Back