What to hire.....

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
No
or buy

Hi all

OK, im after some advise on a lens to hire. I have a beach wedding to photograph (eeek, a favour to friends...reportage style) in January in Goa India! I would imagine its going to be very sunny and bright so polarisers / hoods are a must.
Current equipment is
  • 400D and a 30D
  • Sigma 17-70 APO DG Macro
  • Sigma 70 300 (cheaper version 140 quids I think)
  • Canon 50mm f 1.8
  • Sigma 10-20
  • 430 ex flash
  • Tripod, hoods, remote, spare batteries etc
So I think I have a fair amount. However, I thought this would be an ideal opportunity to hire an L lens A)to test it out and B) to really get those pin sharp shots. Im thinking of something to replace the sigma 17-70???.

The wonderful people at lenses for hire have given me a few options to choose from so I thought I would throw this out there for comment. I kinda know which way im swaying on this but expert advise/comments are always a help.

The options are

* 24-70 f/2.8 L
* 24-105 f/4 L IS - This seems to be marginally in front at the moment. But wish it had the F2.8!
* 17-55 f/2.8 IS
* 70-200/2.8 L IS
* 70-200/2.8 L

So......any ideas, opnions etc.:help:

Many Thanks
Gpc

For weddings, you really want the 2.8, IS is helpful but not as important IMHO as the 2.8. The 24-70 is the one I see at most weddings (but never used it myself). If money was no object and you can take the weight I would go for the 70-200 2.8 IS and the 24-70.

For weddings, you really want the 2.8, IS is helpful but not as important IMHO as the 2.8. The 24-70 is the one I see at most weddings (but never used it myself). If money was no object and you can take the weight I would go for the 70-200 2.8 IS and the 24-70.

Would agree with this, although my reply would not carry as much impact as someone who has done weddings, never done any myself..

Especially in the church, 2.8 is an absolute necessity IMHO. I do know that for definate regardless of whether or not I've done wedding togging.

I also have the 70-200 2.8L IS and its an awesome lens (y)

Guys this is a beach wedding so 2.8 is not going to be a must for Churches in this instance.

It will be very well lit one would presume so the low light capabilities is not going to come into question.

Based on this, I would say the 24-105 is going to give you more leaway than the 24-70 will.

Guys this is a beach wedding so 2.8 is not going to be a must for Churches in this instance.

It will be very well lit one would presume so the low light capabilities is not going to come into question.

Based on this, I would say the 24-105 is going to give you more leaway than the 24-70 will.

ooops..you're right. OP clearly stated this :bonk:

But will there be a reception in a reasonably dark venue? In which case, I'd still prefer the 2.8. Ie. a hall where people can boogie

Apologies to the OP for not reading properly :wacky:

:agree:

Steve

hehe....no apologies necessary..its all usefull info.

I dont think there will be a reception anywhere particularley dark. The wedding will be on the beach and the reception most likely in a beach type / beach front restaurant or bar.

For the reception i have the nifty 50 1.8 which may be suitable. Its a pretty informal affair and as i am excellent mates with the couple they wont mind me getting up close and personal really. Its not like ill have to stand at the back end of the room all the time.

Will the f4 of the 24 105 give a decent enough shallow dof to get those lovely candid portraits of family and friends?

The idea is to do some one on one creative stuff with the 10-20.Some nice landscapes with them walking along the beach etc.

Then for the ceremony, pleanty of the whole scene, pleanty of candids of family and friends and of course plenty of the happy couple. Close ups of the rings in amongst the indian flowers and incense etc.

then as night / sunset draws in a few sunset romantic type shots and then pleanty of shots of family and friends all letting their hair down....

Im thinking the f4 24 105 will do the job, alongside the nifty 50 and 10 - 20 sigma. The sigma 17-70 is only f2.8 at the wide end **** is such a shame!!

gpc

im still mulling this over and am undecided.

Changed from hire to buy so I need to give this some serious thought

Wedding is sunset time (ceremony before sunset leading to the reception at sunset)

I have a sigma 10 - 20 for the creative shots for a later time but for the wedding ceremony and subsequent drinks etc im torn but leaning towards the 24-70 L.

Reason being is that the low evening light. However I do also have a 50m 1.8 so would I be better off with the extra reach and not quite as fast?

i'd want the 24-70 f2.8 and the 70-200 f2.8 you only get one shot at this and with the changing light conditions and unknown venue you need to have all bases coverd. Personally with your kit bag i would have turned it down as it's going to be an expensive favour and loads of pressure which will inevitably effect your enjoyment of your friends big day.

Good luck!

For weddings 24-70 no question, if you do a survey of all wedding togs, this would be a clear winner.

pair it with a 70-200 2.8 IS and the extra reach of the 24-105 would be moot really.

i'd want the 24-70 f2.8 and the 70-200 f2.8 you only get one shot at this and with the changing light conditions and unknown venue you need to have all bases coverd. Personally with your kit bag i would have turned it down as it's going to be an expensive favour and loads of pressure which will inevitably effect your enjoyment of your friends big day.

Good luck!

Well, TBH, im not getting anything specifically for the wedding so its not costing anything other than my time really. Plus I enjoy it and they are on a tight budget so rather than think of myself im doing them a favour. Also great experience and a challenge.

I have to agree on the lenses though.....24-70 and 70-200 would be a great combo. May buy the 24-70 and hire the 70-200 then.

I think thats solved it!!!

Thnks all

I know I'm going slightly off topic here but how is all the equipment you're taking going on the plane?! Is some of going to have to go in the hold of the aircraft?

I have a crumpler bag that, once i take out all the non essential stuff, should fit it in nicely and come with me as hand luggage. The missus can then take the ipods, books etc.

The only thing that may have to go in the hold (my travelling rucksack) is the tripod.

I would be taking the following (if it goas to plan)
40D
400D Gripped (grip can be left but i do prefer having it)
24-70L
70-200 L
50mm 1.8
Sigma 10- 20
Remote
3 batteries for each camera
Polarisers which will be on the lens
Cleaning cloths and wipes

Erm...i think thats it. Weight may be an issue in which case ill put the wife in the hold and use her seat:LOL:

Seriosly though, i need to check the weight restrictoions. if need be ill split the gear with one or two other people heading out the same time as us.

Do you have any pointers or tips when travelling with such gear?

Thanks
Greg

You won't be needing the IS if it's in daytime in Goa, your shutter speeds will be sufficiently high enough so go with the 24-70 2.8

How many people will be attending? You probably won't need a 70 - 200 2.8 if there isn't many as you will be quite close to everyone :)

good point,

There will be about 40 people and I will mingling around all of them. Also, at the ceremony i will be able to move around the bride and groom fairly closely as (i would think about 5 - 6 feet away) as its open and under an white material arch thing facing the sea. I should be able to position myself with the sun behid me, to the sides or in front. More likely though from behind and to one side (the beach is west facing ideal for sunsets and the guests will be facing the sea (west).

I need to check the seating layout. I think there will only be 4 chairs either side so I would be able toget pretty close. Plus the fact thatthey are my best friends and they know the deal so i will hopefully be pretty invisible to them. They are used to me floating round with thecamera.

I think the 24-70 is a must as that will be the lens i predominantly use.

Then i think the 70-200 will be a bonus ( I have a sigme 70-300 which takes some surprisingly sharp shots)

This is not possibly what you want to read here but I don't see that you really need any additional kit to what you already have. Apart from one thing. A diffuser for that flash and a good supply of batteries too.

All your lenses will get the job done and be plenty sharp enough stopped down to make stunning prints. The ability to have soft fill in flash will open lots of doors in terms of what you can shoot and that's what I'd add.

If you just want to take along something new to try out then I agree with the 24-70 vote. Just to get some wide open portraits. :)

cheers daz

I also have a 430ex with a difuser to take. forgot to list it. the diffuser is one of these sqare type like astofen omni bounce (its a copy, not an original) - would you recommend anything else

So - I think its settled then

Purchase a second hand 24-70 for general photography Sell my Sigma 17-70

Take
24-70 f2.8 L
Sigma 10-20
Canon 50mm 1.8
400D Gripped
40D
430Ex
tripod
Batteries / cleaning stuff / remotes /

Either - Hire the 70-200 f2.8 or take existing 70-300 Sigma

Check luggage allowances and ensure that it can all fit on as hand luggage.
Ensure that all the gear is Insured

Have a great time!!

Thanks you all for your generous input. Its very very helpful

Greg

Back