What to paper onto for studio backgrounds.

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I am looking to create a studio background out of a bookcase wallpaper I use often and I'm wondering what to use that's relatively lightweight.

I need something sturdy enough that it won't bend when it's standing up though. I was thinking of making a frame and putting plywood or something similar on that then papering it.

I also thought of insulation boards but they're not too smooth and unsure whether you'd see this through the paper.

Any ideas?

I build these all the time for shoots. Cheap wood frame, just make sure you triangulate it for strength, plywood front, loads of studio weights on the bottom.

Probably the best thing to paper on to is a plaster board flat with a soft wood frame. It would be heavier than thin plywood but remain flatter with out hollows.
You should not see through to what ever you use, if you paint it white first.
Flats are safer and never bend if they can be hung rather than stood. you can also place a false skirting board against them if used as part of room sets.

Essentially a flat is a movable partition.

Last edited:
Probably the best thing to paper on to is a plaster board flat with a soft wood frame. It would be heavier than thin plywood but remain flatter with out hollows.
You should not see through to what ever you use, if you paint it white first.
Flats are safer and never bend if they can be hung rather than stood. you can also place a false skirting board against them if used as part of room sets.

Essentially a flat is a movable partition.
Do you mean a gyproc sheet mate?

Back