What to shoot in and around Taunton and Somerset?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
In the past I've only really been shooting car shows and Motorsport events but want to branch out a little.

So far I'm thinking.

Waters meet at lympton/lynmouth looking at long exposure river shots - sure there are many other opportunitys here but what and where?

Somerset levels namely burrow mump, Glastonbury tour is another obvious choice but anything else in the area?

I'll most likely try Bristol at some point for the suspension bridge etc.

As you can probably tell my imagination is somewhat failing me but I will ofcourse look for opportunities at each site I choose :)

Any suggestions would be fantastic.

West Somerset Railway
Watchet Harbour
Porlock Weir
Dunster Yarn Market & Castle
Bristol Waterfront

Cheddar Gorge
Kilve Beach
Wells Cathedral
Clifton Suspension Bridge
Clevedon Pier
Severn Bridge
Glastonbury Tor
Angel of the South (Wicker Man)
Berrow - Shipwreck
Brean Sands
Burnham on Sea - Lighthouse
Burrowbridge

Those should keep you busy for a little while (y)

Fantastic, cheers guys.

I forgot to mention that burnham is on the list I've already scoped it out while out for a walk with a friend. I'll have to watch the tide times and sunset times to get the pic I want :)

Didn't realise there was a shipwreck at berrow, will definitely check this out also.

Some other brilliant suggestions, looks like I'll have ample opportunitys just around the corner.

Dorset coastline is close enough yes. Anywhere in particular?

Not a fan of Weston tbh but happy to be set straight.

It seems I don't get out of the village much so have no idea of what interesting sites are all around me....

Dorset coastline is close enough yes. Anywhere in particular?

Not a fan of Weston tbh but happy to be set straight.

It seems I don't get out of the village much so have no idea of what interesting sites are all around me....

You have to go to Portland Bill, Durdle Door, Corfe Castle and there are some more nice bits in between

I don't blame you about Weston :)

Would you guys believe I never knew about durdle door!! Looks like I'll have to look at all the suggestions and plan a route, shame I'm doing this now the days are shorter and the weather had turned nasty :(

Would you guys believe I never knew about durdle door!! Looks like I'll have to look at all the suggestions and plan a route, shame I'm doing this now the days are shorter and the weather had turned nasty :(

Hang your head in shame boy... :LOL:
Landscape photography is all about light, in my opinion, but taking a risk and driving down to the coast is worth it if for 5 minutes you get a break in the clouds. You will have wasted journeys, but it's all part of the fun (y)

Plan a route? This has taken me 4 years to say I have a few decent shots of each :LOL:

Well I've just taken a few shots of burrow mump, thought of ease myself in gently. I really need to practice at landscapes it seems as it vastly different from what I'm used to :)

When I say plan a route it would most likely be a waste of time as these things never seem to work out. I'd be looking at grouping a few locations together to justify the fuel costs.

Only had a couple hours spare so have had to compromise :( I'd like to revisit just before sunset tbh.

Well, if the Dorset coast is within range, that probably opens up Dartmoor and the Devon coasts if you're near the M5 corridor! Too many sites to mention really - just keep your eyes on the scenery (ideally when someone else is driving!)

Given Mark's location and your proximity to the M5, I'm surprised he didn't offer South Wales as a set of locations!

Get back out there in the golden hour, you'll get some lovely shots.
Get some shots posted up.

Some here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/79999206@N02/

I need to do a course or something I think as I don't currently have a very good eye for landscapes and have no idea how to manipulate the settings to achieve the look i'd want.

This is also my first time out with my new camera body and shooting this subject medium hence why the shots are very much point and shoot.

If you like landscapes go down to Brent knoll fair climb yes but the views are stunning also there is a church at the bottom ( name escapes me) and inside on the pews there is a story built into them

Thanks mate :)

Given Mark's location and your proximity to the M5, I'm surprised he didn't offer South Wales as a set of locations!

Nope I don't have a current passport.... ;) South wales would be pushing it a bit unless I was there for something else.

Just googled images of the falls but its a 2 hour trip each way. This wouldn't be an issue but both my cars aren't exactly economical :(

Just googled images of the falls but its a 2 hour trip each way. This wouldn't be an issue but both my cars aren't exactly economical :(

If you are truly serious about doing this the first thing I would do would be to get a nice [used] economical diesel car instead of one of yours. 60mpg vs 25mpg can mean £1000-2000 saved a year.

If you are truly serious about doing this the first thing I would do would be to get a nice [used] economical diesel car instead of one of yours. 60mpg vs 25mpg can mean £1000-2000 saved a year.

Never a truer word said. I'm still driving around in a car that does 30mpg. I'm too fussy on what I'll drive, and won't be able to get the diesel I want for what mine is worth.

I'd like to make a weekend of it but I don't get two days off together very regularly unfortunately.

I'm looking at swapping my daily car for a derv but cars are my main hobby so you won't see me swapping my 400bhp 200sx for a diesel :D

Problem is I'm also fussy with cars so any diesel I get won't be that cheap and I'm currently saving for a house deposit.

Last edited:
:grin: We have a big petrol and a reasonably big Diesel - 20 (on a good day!) from the petrol and 40 from the Diesel. Only a second or so between them in terms of 0-60 and 8 in terms of top end. The petrol's more fun but the Diesel's more comfortable.

Depends on the coast really. The coast near the seven is muddy and nasty but the south coast isn't so bad :)

:grin: We have a big petrol and a reasonably big Diesel - 20 (on a good day!) from the petrol and 40 from the Diesel. Only a second or so between them in terms of 0-60 and 8 in terms of top end. The petrol's more fun but the Diesel's more comfortable.

Sounds like you either have a really fun or a 4x4 petrol and decent diesel right there :D

Last edited:
Try Lyme Regis the sunrise over the cob can be quite dramatic

I'm in Taunton also - if you ever need a togging buddy?

Les

Back