What tripod do i need for the 600 f4

Name
neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Im going to order the canon 600 f4 this week (i hope) was wondering what tripod i would need for it

Well the general consensus is the the Redsnapper will be ok with it, I think Fracster has one and he uses it with his Sigmonster and says it's fine, though the 600mm f4 may be heavier than the 300-800

I'd personally go for the Gitzo GT 5540 LS/XLS but you pays yer money...

Good luck with the lens. I'm envious

I've just picked up a Gitzo 3540 XLS to put mine on....along with a Wimberley 2 gimbal head.

Doug Darter has a MN-393 gimbal in the for sale section today...would do the job fine.

Bob

I recently bought a Gitzo GT3531 LSV for my 500 F4.
I'm very pleased with the stability and height of the tripod.
The G-Lock system is excellent (fast to operate and very secure).

Unlike the previous version of this model (3530LSV) the 3531 only comes with a video bowl and no G349 flat plate.
Robert White were good enough to send me a free plate since their website said it was included.
It has since been amended.
http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=1009&PT_ID=174&P=Gitzo-Systematic-Tripods

I use a Manfrotto 393 head and it does the job.

I'd go for the 393 for a head unless you got a lotta dollar to spend!

I'd agree Joe....I got both to do an appraisal.
The accountant in me said "MN-393" and the engineer in me said "Wimberley 2".

I'm poorer by a country mile but happy with my choice. The MN-393 comes in around £105 and the Wimberley around £450 (with extra plate)

Bob

The main difference between the Redsnappers and Gitzos, will be with weight and sturdiness..series 3 and 5 will be carbon fibre, whereas Redsnappers appear to be alloy..

I have the GT3540 XLS, very pleased with it, considering its maximum height is almost 2 meters and the fact it has a full sized Really Right Stuff ballhead, it is lightweight. It has four leg sections, 3 will get me to eye level (I'm 6 foot), so have spare leg section for different compositions/perspective, though I think I'd have to take a step ladder with me to use that :LOL:

I paid £479 for the legs and I won't be getting another tripod ever again. Now I know 7 tripods later (within 18 months), you could be excused for thinking yeah right, but I do 120% mean it this time. They're that good, probably the reason why you don't see many second hand..

As has been said above, the G-lock system is very very good IMHO and quiet as well, which is quite easily overlooked if you're looking for a wildlife tripod...completely faff free - a quarter of a turn anti-clockwise, pull the leg down then clockwise a quarter of a turn..is then locked solid.

Thanks all for the fast replys, looks like i will have to con some more money out of the d.i.y funds :LOL:

You don't need a tripod, just get a gym membership!

You don't need a tripod, just get a gym membership!

Caution needed....I slipped a disc just by left clicking the purchase tab when I ordered mine. It's been sitting in the cupboard unused since it arrived :crying:

Gitzo would be my choice, sorry I shouid say Gitzo is my choice, for my 600 F4.

I can second what Markta says about the 3540 XLS as this is currently supporting the 500. It is a great tripod and super light however it is apparantly only rated up to the 500 rather than the 600, but I am sure that I have seen people saying they use one with a 600 and get on fine.

Back