What type of batteries in your flashgun?

Name
Janice
Edit My Images
Yes
Do you use normal batteries for your flashgun, or rechargeable?

I know rechargeable are cheaper to use on a regular basis, but I gather they have to be used straight after recharging or they slowly lose their charge. Flash is something I wont be using every day by any means, and it would be a pain to have to keep them on charge "just in case".

I may go the Duracell way, depending on how long they last "in-flash".

I use Duracell in my 580EX

I don't use flash that often and I only changed mine last weekend as a precaution in advance of a shoot after many, many months.

For my usage, re-charegables probably wouldnt be suitable due to the standby drain you mention.

I also have a pink bunny playing a snare drum on top of mine and we all know nothing can compete with duracell for that.

Doesn't it get a bit noisy? From what I remember, they can only play one tune.....

I think most people use rechargables.

Alkaline batteries are good for long slow drain applications. Use them heavily like in a flashgun and they will have half the normal life or less. Duracell and the like go out of thier way not to tell you the mAh capacity the cells hold as the figures are low for fast discharge.

NiMh (and the old NiCad) batteries are good at providing heavier currents but not so good at lasting over a long time period due to self discharge.

For a flashgun I'd go with decent NiMh batteries. Have a spare set or 2 as well.

I use rechargable NiMh's. The real answer is to get a fast one hour charger and two or three sets of NiMh's. It will be expensive initially, but work out cheaper than alkalines in the long term. Waiting several hours for batteries to recharge is a pain.

four sets of rechargeables here, duracells last one race if your lucky

rechargable NiMh's here, too.
Aside from the above advantages, I'm led to beleive they offer faster recycle times?

Thanks guys. I just bought my eldest son a new fast maha battery charger and 4X 2700 Powerex batteries. Methinks I will be pinching them back!! ;)

I don't find any difference in the recycle time between rechargeables and Duracells. In fact I tried out the Duracell route to see how they went last night and I was still missing shots! I use my flash a lot at speedway at this time of year (and particularly at the moment as I'm getting a lot of time on the centre! :D ) and have never had any problem with a set of rechargeables taking me right through a meeting.....even when I've not remembered to recharge them beforehand!

I'm considering going down the external power source route as I gather that gives better recycle times......but the £££ is a disadvantage.

Witch said:
I'm considering going down the external power source route as I gather that gives better recycle times......but the £££ is a disadvantage.
I was thinking of that too, at the moment though using rechargeables the recyle time seems quick enough to not have to bother with it. Definitely seems quicker to me than the likes of duracell.

I have 8 rechargable cells for my 430 ex, they have 2700mAh capacity and recycle the flash as quick as duracells, I keep a car charger in my kit bag for them, so I always have a set on the boil if i'm out all day.

Ikea do a bumper pack of pencils (yellow ones) for a couple of quid, I got some a few months ago, and I'm still on the first set of four in my 430ex, I've done 2 weddings and a few bits and bobs too, must be easily, with flash used, 1000 plus shots. Just can't believe how long they kept going, absolute bargin. :clap:

OMG, just counted 11 sets of rechargable AAs!

Canon flash battery doors notoriously fiddly on 420EX and 550EX, so am considering external PSU, or DIY battery pack switch.

Back