What type of camera next ?

Should add to the above that the 40-150mm feels cheap but optically is very good.

There is also the 14-42mm EZ (pancake) lens that you can get instead of the other one mentioned and it makes a really nice compact package but the downside (for some) is that it is a power zoom as opposed to manual zoom.

I went for the RF style evf in the corner layout as it saves a bit in bulk as you don't get the evf hump. My Sony A7 is SLR style though.

Actually although I do see the appeal of the maybe more retro and stylish Olympus cameras part of the reason for going for the Panasonic cameras was for the maybe more anonymous and perhaps more minimalist look.

You make your choice and you pay your money :D

Thanks everyone, one last question concerning lenses. Should I buy 'body-only' and if so which lens is a good all-rounder?

I'd go for body only mostly because I wouldn't get on with that focus ringless 12-32mm.

I like primes but I'm a fan of the teeny tiny 14-42mm kit lens I've mentioned a couple of times in this thread. It has a nice focal length range and it's sharp enough to use with the aperture wide open unless making a conscious decision to stop it down and they seem to be easy to find used at reasonable prices. A nice lens to go with it is the 45-150mm. I also like the much bigger and more expensive Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8.

Prime wise I like the Olympus 17, 25 and 45mm f1.8's as they're small, light and can be found used at good prices. The 17mm in particular is lovely with its metal construction and it's lovely for manual focus use too.

Brilliant, I'll do a search for both body-only and kit deals as there maybe a kit with the 14-42mm lens. Just need to find somewhere that has some stock:)

Be careful with the 14-42mm kit lenses as there seem to be a few with very similar descriptions. Some are much bigger and maybe more conventionally sized than that teeny tiny one I linked to. You may prefer the larger ones for handling reasons it's just that I like more compact kit and after using that small lens on and off over the years I haven't seen any disadvantages.

Good luck with the hunt! :D

Thanks everyone, one last question concerning lenses. Should I buy 'body-only' and if so which lens is a good all-rounder?
Are you going for Olympus or Panny? Olympus do a 14-150mm which is a good all-rounder as it has focal length equivalence of 28-300mm. I'm not sure if Panasonic do a similar lens, although of course you can use the Olympus lens on Panny body, although not all Pannys have IBIS which may be an issue.

Are you going for Olympus or Panny? Olympus do a 14-150mm which is a good all-rounder as it has focal length equivalence of 28-300mm. I'm not sure if Panasonic do a similar lens, although of course you can use the Olympus lens on Panny body, although not all Pannys have IBIS which may be an issue.
This was my recommendation earlier and I'd continue recommending it.

Panasonic do a 14-150mm.

I don't know how much the Olympus costs but even a used the Panny 14-150mm blows the budget but these lenses are certainly worthy of at least looking at even if the price means it's a very quick look.

My choice will depend on what I can get, and also what's available/in stock at the moment. I'm still hoping to go on my October holiday to Sicily but I will need to practice with it for a while beforehand. So plenty of time to look yet.

My choice will depend on what I can get, and also what's available/in stock at the moment. I'm still hoping to go on my October holiday to Sicily but I will need to practice with it for a while beforehand. So plenty of time to look yet.
My Olympus EM1 and 12-40mm f2.8 went with me to Sicily. Where abouts are you going?

We are having 3 days in Taormina and visiting Mt Etna, & then to Syracusa for 9 days....hopefully.

We are having 3 days in Taormina and visiting Mt Etna, & then to Syracusa for 9 days....hopefully.
If you're staying in Taormina I'd recommend a short trip to Savoca and Forza D'agro. Lovely little villages, especially Savoca, and if you're a fan of the Godfather like myself you'll recognise certain buildings (y)

I've just seen a You tube video that mentioned the GX80's 'on/off' button being a problem so I'm not sure about that one now. Olympus have a good deal on at the moment and have the E M10 Mk3 with 14-42mm lens for £399. I've also been looking at the Canon M50 and wondered what your thoughts were about that one ?

I've just seen a You tube video that mentioned the GX80's 'on/off' button being a problem so I'm not sure about that one now. Olympus have a good deal on at the moment and have the E M10 Mk3 with 14-42mm lens for £399. I've also been looking at the Canon M50 and wondered what your thoughts were about that one ?

I've not had a problem with mine. What's the problem?

Maarten Heilbron is the mans name and he does excellent un-biased reviews of cameras. SEE
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MQPyLE_7ys&t=232s
. The on-off button is by the Mode dial and he (and others) find they accidentally turn the camera off. Also the fact you have to manually turn the lens to turn it on is a negative. Just a couple of negatives which have me re-thinking my purchase. I'm still waiting for stock from John Lewis (£399 for the brown colour). Ive seen the M50 which has a bigger sensor for nearly the same so wondered if I should get that instead ? It's very interesting when you research cameras how Google trys to direct you to certain sellers and they aren't always the cheapest. I've also come across a couple of 'Grey' sellers on Ebay selling cheap cameras, I do get put off them due to the reduced warranty though...this is also why I thought the Olympus sale was a good idea.

Personally I wouldn't touch that lens as it doesn't have a focus ring and if you want to focus manually you have to do so with a slider on the back screen. I've never tried it but it sounds awful. I've never turned my MFT cameras on or off accidentally. The switch has a very positive action so he must have sausage fingers.

I don't know anything about Canon mirrorless but I'd advise having a good look before buying as the lens range may be limited. You could also try downloading some pictures, preferably raws, and seeing if you can see any significant difference between MFT and APS-C.

Thanks, I watched his review of the Olympus E-M10 Mk 3 and he had quite a few negative things to say about that too :D. My last camera was a Canon so I thought I would find the M50 very similar to use. Thanks for your input.

Back