what wide angle lens for a nikon d40?

Edit My Images
No
as per title, please?

still such a newbie, HSM?

how much is a sigma 10-20?

HSM is sigmas Hyper Sonic Motor, without it the lens would be manual focus on the D40, average cost second hand around 200-240 ish... new about £289ish. Very good lens, there are reviews HERE

yikes. this is pricey!

i can see why people say lenses are the expensive part.

i have a nikon d40 as per sig, this lens is expensive; can it be used with other nikons, if i ever upgrade in the future?

anyone got any pics of samples with it.

was hoping £100 area, can only dream on lol

It's pricey, yes, but worth it. They're damn good lenses, and mine is by far my most used lens. A wide is never going to be cheap, as the elements are large - it's a fairly big lens, compared to the lens that would've come with your D40.

As others have said, the HSM means that it will focus fine, and also very quickly. Compatibility is good, right up to the D300. So should you go on to buy a D80 in the future, or D200 as I'm planning to, then the lens will go straight on.

The only alternative really is a full-frame manual-focus fisheye from eBay, like the Peleng. The build quality won't be good, and it'll be fixed focal length.

Personally, I'd save and buy the Sigma 10-20. You could also look at offerings from Tokina and Tamron.

as said go for the 10-20

all i hear about this is good things and to which i am now saving for

i have the D40X with various lenses but want this one badly after seeing pics etc taken with it lol

My most expensive lens so far, but it is lovely.

Yeah, it can be used with pretty much any Nikon, apart from the D3 (well it will work, but it'll cause a lot of vignetting etc)

Lots of shots taken with this lens here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=58367

You need this lens in your life :rules: ;) :D

well i better get saving

some of those pics are amazing and very inspirational. only thing i question is people doing things in photoshop, to mood set etc. and i'm no good with photoshop

thanks

are there any others worth looking at?

Back