What wide lens do you use with the 1DMk11N

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'll be ugrading my 30D very soon. I've got the dilema of wether to go 5D or 1DMK11N.

I do quite a lot of sports work and my 30D copes fine (I rarely use the High drive setting). But I like the robustness of the 1D and its weather proofing.

One issue that bothers me though, is wide angle choices. With the 5D its not an issue as whatever you by 16-35 etc is what you shoot. Howevver with a 1DMK11N a 16-35 becomes a 21-45 and you lose the functionality at the 16-20 end and thats a huge loss on a wide angle. It renders it almost pointless buying one.

I already have two L F2.8 lenses (a 24-70 and a 70-200 )so these lenses will work well on both the 5D and 1DMK11N.

Will I need to spend a fortune on getting say a 14mm (which becomes an 18mm) on a 1DMK11N.

The EF-S series doesn't work on 1D, so buying a 10-20 is not an option.

What quality L lenses are available at sensible money (say around £1k) to give a sensible wide option and building in the 1.3 factor. I'd be looking for something around 17/18mm so we are looking at 14mm starting point.

The alternative is to go 5D route and the 16-35 solves the issue. But then you lose the robustness and weather proofing.

There just doesn't seem to be a perfect body out there at the mo.

I use either the 17-40mm f4 'L' or the Peleng 8mm, both great in there own ways !

Alan

I like the sigma 12-24mm , although I use it on the 1DS MKII.

I think if you want to do sports then the 5d should not be on your list with the 1d mk2N, as the 1d outclasses most other cameras for this application.

What is it that you are planning to do that needs such a wide angle? - if you need the robustness of the 1d, and full frame have you thought about a secondhand 1ds (maybe as a second camera?) 11Mp 3fps ~£1100-£1200?

a good place to seek further advice would be www.sportsshooter.com

I'm happy using a 16-35mm II 2.8L on a 1DMKII but I don't shoot sports with it.

Thanks for all the advice and comments, much appreciated.

Although sports will be my main shooting priority, I like to explore the more unusual shots and wide angle is one area that achieves this.

My main concern is that when I make the body purchase, I havn't limited my shooting options. And with the 1.3 factor on the 1D it shows a "weakness" at the wide angle end.

Sportysnaps may have come up with the solution of a s/h 1DS :)
Maybe I should buy a 1DS and a 1DMK11N to get the best of everything :)

The 5D Mk11 could also be a candidate if there is any improvement in weather sealing and robustness. Just have to wait a month to find out the spec.

Gaelicstorm7, thanks for mentioning the Peleng 8mm, not one I've heard of but worth investigating - any pointers where I can find supplier/spec/prices?

Also thanks for the mention Les of the Sigma 12-24, this would also fit the bill. Is this regarded as a pro lens, what aperture etc.....more investigation!

Thanks again everyone.

Back