Whats happened to the birds?

M

Marik

So there I was yesterday, 'acquired' a Xmas tree from yesterday, So I set it all up this morning, did the whole dashing some seeds around the base, and so far I have counted 0 birds in the whole garden.. unless you count a fly over from a male sparrow.

Bad day yesterday? Bad day today, I think.

Dan the Crappy Man

Dan, be patient....are there other animals living in your house/garden? Birds remember you know and will gradually tell each other there is food about...

Lets's have a pic of this tree then. :)

It takes time mate! Give the birds a chance to realise that the food is there - it will probably take 'em a few days. Leave 'em alone for a few days - a new strange object and you hovering about is a bit suspicious. Just keep doing the morning feeding until you see them starting to regularly feed there, then softly softly catchee monkey. ;)

Jeez, you've gone and done it now, middle of July and you mention the 'C' word. I'll have to keep my son away from this thread. :D

LOL @Hacker.

Also you want to be chucking some seed over the tree so that some lodges in the spines, which is why it's so important to pick the right tree, one with tight spines which will catch some seed, and one not so bushy that the foliage will obscure the birds.

Inevitably the birds will spend a lot of time feeding off the seeds on the ground, but those are the shots you don't want - you want them perched on that nice tree which will give the setting for your shots. They'll tend to land on the tree to do a quick recce before hopping down to the ground, so it's important that they learn early on that there's seed on the tree, and they'll spend more time there looking for it.

Wildlife photography is a game of patience played slow, but big rewards now and again. :)

Excellent advice :D

It's only a little would which was left behind from christmas, So It needs to grow a bit, tis only about 1.5feet high atm

It takes time for the birds to realise that there's food involved. I hung some seed in a feeder and some nuts from a tree in my garden and didn't spot any birds for weeks, when usually there are hundreds of them about. Once they realise that they won't be harmed and will actually be fed, they'll be there!

Gandhi said:
Apparently they've been casting for a re-make of the hitchcock classic this week.

:LOL: ...

Nah m8 ... I got 'em ... costing me even more lately to feed the little beggars ... :bonk:

Even had two in me new home office this morning ... 'cos I was ignoring them begging around on the decking ... :eek:

It took quite a while for them to start feeding in our garden, but now we can have upto a hundred all at once.

They prefer sunflower hearts (shelled sunflower seeds) over everything else.

Back