Beginner Whats the best all rounder lens .

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
No
Hi Everybody
I need a little advice on buying a lens that would be on the lens for most situations .
I have a 18- 105 and 50mm and a 70-300mm. I am looking for ideas for a lens that would possible cover a lot of situations out and about
where I would not have to change between lens . Something that I could put the camera (D90) and not have to carry a holdall also.

;)

Tamron 18-270mm if you've got a few less bob.

Hi Everybody
I need a little advice on buying a lens that would be on the lens for most situations .
I have a 18- 105 and 50mm and a 70-300mm. I am looking for ideas for a lens that would possible cover a lot of situations out and about
where I would not have to change between lens . Something that I could put the camera (D90) and not have to carry a holdall also.

;)

Depends on your style.. lots of good suggestions for travel zooms, but that's not the only solution. I can go weeks or even a whole holiday and not change from a standard prime (c.30/35mm on an APS-C sensor). A prime has the advantage of being a lot smaller and lighter when you're not carrying a bag or backpack. Lens choice is all about personal style and preferences.

The new Tamron 16-300 goes wider.
True but wide or longer isn't always better. For example I've known people who have thought that their 18-250 lens was amazing and then wondered why people have prime lenses. It doesn't zoom? What's the point?
That sigma lens seems to do will in reviews in spite of the Long focal range. Not because of it.

True but wide or longer isn't always better. For example I've known people who have thought that their 18-250 lens was amazing and then wondered why people have prime lenses. It doesn't zoom? What's the point?
That sigma lens seems to do will in reviews in spite of the Long focal range. Not because of it.

I do like the look on peoples faces that use P&S cameras when they ask my what the zoom is with my big fancy looking DSLR with the 50mm attached. They think I'm bonkers.

Apologies, I may have misread/misinterpreted your post. I'd read the "you can't get wider" part as not being able to get wider than 18 on a lens with a similar range of zoom.

I'll agree that wider and/or longer isn't always better, and accept that you are going to have to compromise going for an all-in-one solution.

Admittedly I recently got the gf one the other week for her d3200 to use in place of the kit 18-55 and 55-300, and so far she seems happy with it. We went to Bempton Cliffs at the weekend to see the puffins and she managed to get some shots. I was busy playing with my J2 and 30-110 lens at the time (I plan on stealing the 55-300 lens once I snag an FT1 adapter)

At some point I want to have a play with it and do some comparison images between the 3 lenses.

I'm still a newbie, so not really got enough experience to comment on how well it compares to the others, but going back to the OP it is another option that hadn't previously been mentioned, albeit quite a bit more expensive than the Sigma or the older Tamron, but cheaper than the new (and apperently similar) Nikon.

Back