whats the best compact to go for

Name
WAYNE CHAMPION
Edit My Images
Yes
ive decided that i am getting rid of my gear for various reasons i currently have a 40d with sigma ex lenses and canon 70-300 is usm lens which are all fine but are a pain to carry aroung everywhere so i getting rid and want a compact that would give me as good results as the equip above your help would be much appreciated thanks in advance
wayne!

I want a compact that would give me as good results as the equip above

There's a bit of a problem there......if compacts gave as good results as SLRs, then we probably wouldn't have SLRs! Are you looking for something you can put in your pocket? If not, have you looked at bridge cameras? They're the same size as SLRs, but have a non-removable lens that usually covers wide-angle to telephoto, as well as all the manual control of an SLR? There are a lot of different ones out there, if you do a search on the forums for 'bridge camera' you'll get plenty of reading material I'm sure!

Chris

Are you looking for one to fit in your pocket or a bridge camera.

Pocket compacts Canon G9/G10, SX110 IS, Panasonic LX3, TZ5, Nikon P6000,

Bridge cameras Canon SX10 IS/SX1 IS, Panasonic FZ18/FZ28, Nikon P80, Fuji S9600/S100FS.

Canon G9/10? or similar? They have all the manual settings but in a compact(ish) size.

Have you thought about downsizing ? My travel kit consists of 400D+fitted Sig 17-70,70-300mm,430ex Speedlite.It all fits in a small Lowepro Nova 2----really portable.My take everywhere camera is a Panny TZ4 --with its 10x zoom its a mini kit in one.

Don't switch to a compact! You'll regret it within days! (Just my humble opinion!) Although, yes, the G9 and G10 are very good...

Having used DSLRs for the last 2.5 years I find that I cannot abide compact cameras. I just hate the nasty little things, but I understand they are a necessary evil when you don't want to lug a ton of gear around.

I've had a Sony DSC-P200 since June 2005 and have never liked it. I upgraded that to a Canon G10 at the beginning of December 2008 but, while the picture quality was OK, all things considered, I found making use of the rich feature set a monumental chore and figured I'd be better off with a simpler and cheaper machine. How do you set up a nice manual exposure when every time you adjust the zoom the aperture changes? Quite frankly I think the feature set is almost too rich on the G10. The options are so complex and not well explained. There really is almost too much to remember/consider if you want to squeeze the most from the camera. Although there are many good things with the G10 it is let down by having far more pixels than necessary and disappointing high ISO performance, which makes it no better or worse than any other compact, but what do manufacturers feel there is to be gained by hamstringing their little creations with all those low quality pixels? Why don't they listen to the photographers?

I returned the G10 and I now have a refurbed Fuji F100fd for 1/3 the price. Guess what - I hate it. The focus takes for ever and even at 400 ISO the NR completely obscures any detail, like fur on a pet, for example. I was shooting in a mixture of snow and grass/woodland with it last weekend and found that getting the exposure sorted was just another PITA. I longed for the EC dial on the G10. The flash has all the strength of wet tissue paper, hopeless for fill flash against a bright background. Who on earth thought it would aid stability to shoot pictures with the camera held out at arm's length. The whole concept of compacts is badly flawed. I actually feel like returning the Fuji as well, but I suppose I have to have something convenient for the trouser pocket.

If you never shoot action and always have good light then a compact may suit. But, if you ever want to shoot stuff that moves, like wildlife, sports, pets and kids, or anything in poor light, I fear that if you dump your DSLR you may very well be disappointed.

Having used DSLRs for the last 2.5 years I find that I cannot abide compact cameras. I just hate the nasty little things, but I understand they are a necessary evil when you don't want to lug a ton of gear around.

I've had a Sony DSC-P200 since June 2005 and have never liked it. I upgraded that to a Canon G10 at the beginning of December 2008 but, while the picture quality was OK, all things considered, I found making use of the rich feature set a monumental chore and figured I'd be better off with a simpler and cheaper machine. How do you set up a nice manual exposure when every time you adjust the zoom the aperture changes? Quite frankly I think the feature set is almost too rich on the G10. The options are so complex and not well explained. There really is almost too much to remember/consider if you want to squeeze the most from the camera. Although there are many good things with the G10 it is let down by having far more pixels than necessary and disappointing high ISO performance, which makes it no better or worse than any other compact, but what do manufacturers feel there is to be gained by hamstringing their little creations with all those low quality pixels? Why don't they listen to the photographers?

I returned the G10 and I now have a refurbed Fuji F100fd for 1/3 the price. Guess what - I hate it. The focus takes for ever and even at 400 ISO the NR completely obscures any detail, like fur on a pet, for example. I was shooting in a mixture of snow and grass/woodland with it last weekend and found that getting the exposure sorted was just another PITA. I longed for the EC dial on the G10. The flash has all the strength of wet tissue paper, hopeless for fill flash against a bright background. Who on earth thought it would aid stability to shoot pictures with the camera held out at arm's length. The whole concept of compacts is badly flawed. I actually feel like returning the Fuji as well, but I suppose I have to have something convenient for the trouser pocket.

If you never shoot action and always have good light then a compact may suit. But, if you ever want to shoot stuff that moves, like wildlife, sports, pets and kids, or anything in poor light, I fear that if you dump your DSLR you may very well be disappointed.

Everything you write is true and thats why we have DSLRs,however I cant help but feel you are missing the point.If compacts were as capable as DSLRs then we wouldnt own them----a compact would fulfill all our needs.
The point is ---Its not what compacts cant do --Its what they can.Frankly I
am amazed at just how good the IQ can be from something so small.Compacts are complimentary to a DSLR system because they can be taken everywhere especially when the big kit is unavailable.I certainly wouldnt replace my DSLR with one but equally I wouldnt be without one either.
Pete.

Back