Beginner What's the best filter system for architectural photography?

Name
Bongi
Edit My Images
No
I have a Canon EOS M100 with the kit lens. I'm trying to go into architectural photography with this camera and I'm not sure which color filter to use.

The only filter you are likely to need is a circular polariser and then only rarely.
You will have more need of a tripod and decent software to sort out converging verticals unless you want to invest in a tilt shift lens

I have a Canon EOS M100 with the kit lens. I'm trying to go into architectural photography with this camera and I'm not sure which color filter to use.

I would firstly think about what lens may be required as a kit lens does not usually cut it Oh and a decent tripod too

Les

only time I'd have been thinking of using colour filters for architectural work was if i'd been shooting on film. Yellow, Orange, Red for more contrast, Green to lighten Foliage, and Blue to reduce contrast. But, that's on Film. You can do all that and way more shooting RAW digital and using Lightroom (other PP software is available).

Only thing I've ever thought of as dedicated architectural kit (aside from a very solid tripod) is a tilt/shift lens of some flavour / focal length - but frankly, that's probably a bit beyond the scope of what you're likely to be wanting to achieve as (presumably, from this question) a beginner. I only have the craving for them because I cut my teeth shooting architectural stuff on a 5x4" Cambo Monorail Camera, so I like the lens and film back movements...

only time I'd have been thinking of using colour filters for architectural work was if i'd been shooting on film. Yellow, Orange, Red for more contrast, Green to lighten Foliage, and Blue to reduce contrast. But, that's on Film. You can do all that and way more shooting RAW digital and using Lightroom (other PP software is available).

Only thing I've ever thought of as dedicated architectural kit (aside from a very solid tripod) is a tilt/shift lens of some flavour / focal length - but frankly, that's probably a bit beyond the scope of what you're likely to be wanting to achieve as (presumably, from this question) a beginner. I only have the craving for them because I cut my teeth shooting architectural stuff on a 5x4" Cambo Monorail Camera, so I like the lens and film back movements...

I think I recall that the OP asked about a suitable/best lens for architectural photography in another thread......I and others pointed him at tilt & shift lenses.

What makes you think you need or want a colour filter at all let alone for architectural photography?

I was looking into equipment that i might need for this filed of photography and the colour filters came up thats when the curiosisty was sparked.

I think I recall that the OP asked about a suitable/best lens for architectural photography in another thread......I and others pointed him at tilt & shift lenses.

Thank you for the clarification.

I was looking into equipment that i might need for this filed of photography and the colour filters came up thats when the curiosisty was sparked.

Nothing wrong with curiosity and research...... afteral that is how we all learn about things.

But IMO part of learning is about discussion and the way you asked your OP was without context as to why you were asking. If you had done so any/all answers could have been more meaningfully constructive for you ;)

Thank you for the feedback and I will definitely construct my questions differently with context.

We learn everyday.

The only filters I use are ND filters to allow me to create motion blur in street scenes.

I honestly have never heard of colour filters in architectural photography before. It's not something photographers use.

Back