Whats the difference?

shrimperblue

Suspended / Banned
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Ok I am confused :thinking:

Can somebody please tell me what lens is best for Macro and why.

Sigma 105mm EX DG f/2.8 Macro Lens
Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO Macro Super DG Lens

Thanks.

SB

the 105mm I think is more designed for macro, whereas the 70-300 has been designed for telephoto applications...but has been given macro capabilities!

The 105. :)

It's a real macro lens, in as much as it focuses close enough that the object you're shooting will be the same size on the sensor as it really is. 1:1 to be techy.

The other lens is just a lens that focuses a bit close but not 1:1, it will be more like 3 or 4:1. Or is that 1:3 or 4, can never remember but I'm sure you get the idea. :)

ok so you get the best of both worlds. Ive read that the 70-300 is a good lens but do you know what the macro design would mean in terms of quality?

answered already ^^ thanks

ok so you get the best of both worlds

If pushed, I'd be more inclined to say you get the worst of both worlds.

A lens that is compromised by design, will focus slower, and does no one thing as well as it could.

...but it will have a stab at all things yes.

Well I have recently purchased the 105mm, hence my question, but you know I have to say that the AF on the 105 is very slow indeed.

I have to say that the AF on the 105 is very slow indeed.

Totally the norm for a real macro lens. The best ones don't offer AF at all. :D

yeah I dont use it :nono: but for anyone thinking of it.....dont be shocked when it takes you an hour to focus!!

SB

dont be shocked when it takes you an hour to focus!!

That's why people say macro is best done on a tripod. So you can set the focus off, go off and make a drink, cook a roast or whatever then come back and fire the shutter. :LOL:

Zoom lenses which have a macro function are really a con and I don't know how manufacturers keep getting away with using the word 'macro' on these lenses.

A true macro lens is always a prime lens - never a zoom and they're capable of putting a life size image or greater, of lets say a fly, on the sensor or film. Obviously with a life size image on the sensor, the potential for enlarging the image is huge.

Zoom lenses with a 'macro' function simply enable you to get closer than you would normally and can be useful in a walkabout lens, but you wont get anywhere near the image size on the sensor that you will with a macro lens - you'd end up very disappointed if your interest lay in macro.

Totally the norm for a real macro lens. The best ones don't offer AF at all. :D

The Sigma 150mm being the exception that rule, stunning bit of glass with very fast HSM focusing for non-macro applications (y)

The 70-300 offers 1:2 (half lifesize) reproduction in macro "mode" which limits the focal length to 200-300mm range. It's also pretty slow to focus but probably not as slow as the 105mm ;)

with very fast HSM focusing for non-macro applications

oh cool, I didn't know that. Switched the AF off the first time mine went on the camera and I don't think it's ever been back on. :LOL:

Turn on the range limit for focusing and it really flies (y)

Of course if you're keeping AF on a separate button you can leave it on and use the FTM for manual plus AF is there when you need it. (y) (y)

Back