when HDR goes bad........

Edit My Images
Yes
well, I thought it'd be rude not to have a go at this HDR lark, seeing as though all the cool kids seem to be doing it these days:

I personaly they think they all look just a touch artificial and overprocessed, I need to get the vaguries of this technique down as it may prove to be useful in the future!

1) dull subject but good practise......

trees.jpg

2) Just too overprocessed, but I think I quite like it for some pervy reason...

sunrisedrain.jpg

3) The most natural looking to my tastes, pity the sunrise I hauled myself out of bed at 6am for wasn't a bit more photogenic and the location I'd previously been eyeing up proved less than my minds eye imagined it to be. some you win........

drain2.jpg

Speak your minds please! X

Pretty much agree with your statements. And I also like No.2 but it is a little too overprocessed.

I tried an HDR conversion of a Clifton Suspension Bridge image (from a single RAW file) and it had a very strange effect of the vertical rods so it really is something that works for certain types of shots and not for others. Good to practice though.

The HDR in the 2nd is basically the same effect I get in B&W conversion by using USM. In B&W it works because you have no colours to worry about over saturating, but in colour it can sometimes look unreal as you commented.

KenCo has it down to a fine art these days & I'm sure he posted the steps involved. If you look at his early shots he had the same effect as #2 above, but over time he nailed the processing ........... assume we have to all go through the same learning curve

#3 is fave.

DJW said:
The HDR in the 2nd is basically the same effect I get in B&W conversion by using USM. In B&W it works because you have no colours to worry about over saturating, but in colour it can sometimes look unreal as you commented.

KenCo has it down to a fine art these days & I'm sure he posted the steps involved. If you look at his early shots he had the same effect as #2 above, but over time he nailed the processing ........... assume we have to all go through the same learning curve

#3 is fave.

Yeah, I have the same halo, local contrast issue sometimes in B&W conversions too. I'm not normaly a big fan of HDR cos it just looks too unatural most times. I've seen one or two good examples on another forum *cough* and kens ones rock. I want to be at a stage when I can use the technique subtly enough so people can't tell! It can be really useful, especially when you don't have any ND grads handy to hold the sky back.

And yes, that river bank will look amazing in the summer as it's in a wild flower meadow. Can't wait.

Thanks for feedback peeps. always appreciated in the name of advancement!

I must admit I had to look up what HDR was on google..:ponders:

Came up with this and learnt another lesson today..:)

Back