Beginner When I upload photos to pc they come out with a pink haze ? HELP

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there I'm just getting started in photography and loving it so far however I'm taking all these shots that look good on my camera screen but when I put them on to my computer they come up with a pinkish haze and look terrible. I don't know if it's a problem with my pc or a problem with they way I've set my camera up. I'm shooting in raw ? Any help on this id appreciate thanks

im using a Nikon d3300. when I upload the pictures through the Nikon uploader you get with the camera they come out without the pink haze but if I try to put the pictures in to photo shop they come out with the pink haze. I've also tried to upload them through instagram but when I go in to the folder that they are saved in they don't show up so I tried moving them about to see if they can be picked up but that doesn't work either

Are you clicking 'upload a file' next to the post reply button?

And remember they need to be JPGS not raw.

also tried that once it gets to the end of the upload comes up with security error. the pictures must be corrupt or something im guessing ?

image.jpg Just had to take a photo on my phone of my laptop to show you how they come out as every time I try to upload via my laptop it won't work. I'm not that good with computers so it is probably something simple I'm not getting

I'm afraid it's difficult to tell from that shot as the moiré on the screen masks any effect.

If I try and look past the moiré it looks kind of ok.

I think you are getting lost with the raw (NEF) and JPEG formats. You cant upload a raw (NEF) image.

Last edited:
Yeah to be honest I don't have a clue about raw and JPEG formats I watched a video on YouTube and the guy said always shot in raw so I set my camera to that lol. I've got about 400 pictures on my SD card just now and when I upload them to the computer everyone bar 4 come out with the pinkish haze on the picture but when I look at the format on the 4 that come out okay say JPEG.

Yeah to be honest I don't have a clue about raw and JPEG formats I watched a video on YouTube and the guy said always shot in raw so I set my camera to that lol. I've got about 400 pictures on my SD card just now and when I upload them to the computer everyone bar 4 come out with the pinkish haze on the picture but when I look at the format on the 4 that come out okay say JPEG.

You just need to convert the RAW (NEF) into JPEG.

Any tips on how to convert them ?
What Photoshop do you have?

You could use the nikon software that came with the camera or upload the raw files into Lightroom or Photoshop (not sure which version has a direct raw upload functioning). I personally shoot in raw and use lightroom to process the raw files and export as jpegs for display on the internet or printing. I first started using the nikon software to convert the raw file to a tiff then a little extra in photoshop elements to get the finished JPEG, a ridiculous workflow! When starting out with raw just use the software that comes with the camera.

Last edited:
Use the software that came with the camera - chances are the white balance is a bit skew-whif on the software you are using.

What is the WB (White Balance) set to on your camera? Ideally, it should usually be Auto (AWB).

Have you got Photoshop? If so, I've a useful and fairly simple technique which I can type up for you.

Last edited:
I've just downloaded a free trial photoshop from the Internet and only tired it a couple times but I'm going to buy a proper photoshop soon any ideas of a decent one to go for beginner friendly ?. I will have a good play about tomorrow trying to convert the photos from raw to JPEG and see how I get on. In regards to white balance I've got it set to auto. Thank you all for your help so far. As I say I'll play about tomorrow and get back to you with how I get on cheers

I've just downloaded a free trial photoshop from the Internet and only tired it a couple times but I'm going to buy a proper photoshop soon any ideas of a decent one to go for beginner friendly ?. I will have a good play about tomorrow trying to convert the photos from raw to JPEG and see how I get on. In regards to white balance I've got it set to auto. Thank you all for your help so far. As I say I'll play about tomorrow and get back to you with how I get on cheers
Before you buy any program's have a try with the nikon software as it will give you an idea of how involved you what to get in processing/editing and it's free too.

Regarding software the main choices are photoshop elements or Lightroom (there are others program's). I started with Photoshop elements but I haven't regretted changing to Lightroom, my only regret was not doing it sooner. There are some things I still use photoshop elements but it's very rare now, I can do most of my editing in Lightroom. I'm also a big fan of the library module and now never look through the computers hard drive as I do everything in Lightroom.

Although these tutorials relate to Lightroom 4, the newer versions 5 and 6 haven't changed too much.

http://en.elephorm.com/tuto-lightroom-4-complete-training/lightroom-4-introduction.html

Last edited:
If (as you're saying) the WB is set to auto on the camera then I'm assuming it will be a software issue.

In Photoshop you need to open the image. Then:

1. Image -> Duplicate -> Ok
2. Window -> Arrange -> Tile Vertically
3. Click on the copy then Filter -> Blur -> Average - this will fill the copy with a single colour
4. Click on the original then click on Curves ... Adjustments on right hand side)
5. Click on the middle dropper and then click on the Average colour created in step 3
6. This changes the colours to a closer hue to the original - then close the copy (no need to save it)

I will try the Nikon software tomorrow and also look in to Lightroom. Thanks for your tips EdwardL and everyone else

Looks like a white balance issue to me. I assume they don't have this hue on the LCD on the back of the camera otherwise you'd have noticed it before copying the files to your PC, in which case the software is possibly altering white balance for some reason.

If you have dropbox you can upload to there and share the file and can check it on my software if you like?

OK, sometimes a silly suggestion might just be the answer!!!

Looking at the photos it appears to be on a Laptop, if i look at my Screen from an Angle I get a pink Hue over the Screen, straight on OK. So are you looking
at your Screen directly and not at an Angle.

OK, said silly suggestion, I know but try it.

Chances are its the white balance that's set wrong, what version of photoshop do u use

What happens if you set your camera to raw+jpg and take a shot? Do they both have the same pink haze on pc?

Back