When Norway was Nice to Us

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
The flip side of the cloudfest pictures were the times when the sun did actually shine on Norwegian waters. This was often early evening or early morning, though a couple of good days too.

1 - The Eidfjord, on probably the most relaxing, glorious day of the holiday.

Eidfjord1.jpg

2 - bergen, viewed from our hotel window which quite literally had the water lapping around underneath us. The ferry thats getting ready to rumble is not only used by tourists bt by communters from up and down the coast. This was taken about 4.30pm, 'rush hour' in Norway [as much as it has one]

bergenharbour.jpg

3 - Fagernes, about 8am, the day got distinctly murkier after this promising start

fagernes5.jpg

4 - Eidfjord again from same spot but looking the opposite way, early the following morning after the previous shot

lofthus1.jpg

5 - IIRC this was on top of the Hardangervidda, a national park that is basically a huge plateau. It had been closed the week before with people stranded in their cars, due to snowfall. We stopped at this spot to eat our boiled eggs and salami rolls filched from the breakfast buffet :LOL:

plains.jpg

6 - Vradal, our last stop before Stavanger and the ferry home. Again it had been a damp day but as the sunset, the clouds cleared and all became very peaceful. I think some nice wooden rowing boats would have been more tasteful, but beggars cant be choosers and plastic paddle boats I had to make do with ;)

vradal.jpg

7 - Yep, you guessed it, the sun shone brightly and warmly ALL day on our last day. Part of the Port of Stavanger viewed from the ferry after boarding.

stavanger2.jpg

oh, for information:

1 - Levels adjusted
2 - HDR
3 - as shot
4 - as shot
5 - HDR
6 - as shot
7 - levels/saturation adjusted

all have had small amounts of sharpening.

Splendid landscape shots (y) 1,4 for me.
Just shows what difference good weather makes.

And I thought I was having trouble with place names identifying my Canada shots! At least mine are easy to spell :)

HDR shots seem to look better when they are posted on their own. Mixed with normal shots the processing stands out more than the picture.

Some great reflections and colours in that series. My pick would be #3 for its simplicity.

Thanks guys :D

The HDR's, Bergen, because I have loads of different shots of the town in everything from hissing down rain to bright sunshine so wanted to try something different, dont worry, more to come normally processed :whistle:

The other one, and I am about to check that was where I think it was, because it was a 'you had to be there', you could see for miles because it was a fairly bright day, but still relatively flat once up there, and not being 8' tall to get a better perspective [mr LL wouldnt let me stand on the roof of the scenic], I was stuggling to capture it in depth... tried some normal processing first but just couldnt bring it out, so tried HDR, which has worked better, but still not perfect.

The rest - Norway is dramatic whatever the weather, but when the sun shines, like most places in autumn, the light is just to die for. I wish I was a better tog to have done it justice, but I think I have managed to capture a feeling at least...I hope :LOL:

WOW, stunning scenery, nicely taken also. Really liking #1,3 & 4 :clap:.

cracking set, looks like an awesome place. My dream is to go to Alaska, but god knows when that will happen!

#1 for me (even if the horizon is slightly wonky!).

Really enjoyed these. Glad the sun shone for you at least some of the time

Lovely shots........last one for me.. really unusual angle.

#1 and #4 are great. We've been idly thinking of visiting Norway for a while, and i must make sure we consider Eidfjord on the itinerary.

PS I don't like the HDRs - they remind me of those garish cheap postcards you use to be able to buy in seaside towns.

Nise set and glorious scenery,#4 for me!

Where these taken with your 10-20mm

digipix

Back