When to Move Up From Bridge Camera?

Name
Mikey
Edit My Images
Yes
A year ago last February, I got a Fujifilm S6500fd for my birthday to start on photography. In that time I have enjoyed taking photographs, although I haven't been out as often as I would like. But I have taken part in a monthly photo competition of a very small computery forum I am a member of, and I actually won last year's one.

After going to Wimbledon for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and enjoying taking photographs, I have been wondering how much I could get out of a DSLR. I was a long way back in the stands and so had to zoom in a long way to get a close up of the players. When it comes to action shots, would a DSLR with its burst mode and better performance at higher ISOs be much better and hopefully improve my shots?

If I come to the conclusion that a DSLR would be a good step forward, I have been looking at the Canon EOS 40D as it has a burst mode of 6.5fps and gets fantastic reviews. I am also interested in the 500D but it can't shoot as high a frame rate and it doesn't seem to be able to shoot as many RAW. I have no idea what there is from Nikon in a similar bracket to the 40D, can anyone suggest anything?

can you afford it would be a big question. some of the bridge cameras have a focal length of 480mm ish. not cheap to get to that focal length on a dslr(y)

I have the S6500FD, its a great camera isn't it. Canon 40D is great, Im after one, may get the 30D though as its cheaper. But if your after somewhere along the lines of a 40D ill give you some cameras to look at.

Try these:

Canon 40D
Canon 400D
Nikon D200
Nikon D90

My camera has a max focal length of 300mm. I was thinking I would try and start off with two lenses, the kit and a 55-250 or something and hopefully sell off some junk (inc bridge camera) to raise a bit of cash, although I don't think I would get anywhere near the amount required for a DSLR. That is still an issue I would have to address.

Back