Where do all the MegaPixels go ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

Given that a 4k monitor only displays a 8.3mp image, for most people what is the point in 40 Mp ? I know it will allow you to crop your image massively ( if your using 40mp and more) but shouldn't you get a better image in the first place ? Where do all the Megpixels go when viewing ? I take it they are just dumped ? Do we lose Pixels when going from a .raw image to a .Jpeg or does that remain the same ?

Thanks all

Brad

Last edited:
The pixel count will remain the same post Raw to JPEG conversion.

Resolution is an easy sell. It's inherently simple to distill it into a "higher number = better" sales pitch without going into the nuance of what makes a technically superior image.

Cropping and printing are advantages of higher resolution of course but the majority of use cases don't need super high resolutions. It is nice for future proofing I guess.

The same thing happens in the AV world with display technology. Manufacturers have dipped their toe into 8K TVs when it's barely practical to have a display big enough for anyone to see any discernable benefit in standard viewing environments. Actual cinemas have 4K projection, why the hell would you ever need a 65 inch 8K display for viewing movies at home?

Contrast ratio, pixel response time, black levels, colour bit depth and accuracy and of course the content source has way more of an effect on quality than overall resolution in most scenarios but telling a consumer 8>4 will always be easier than trying to educate them on a dozen things they're likely to have zero interest in.

Sometimes getting "a better image in the first place" would mean getting closer or a longer lens. Getting closer with wildlife isn't easy and getting a longer lens that's good quality costs multiples of the camera it'll be attached to. I have the opinion, that if someone doesn't need those pixels, then don't buy a high resolution camera, same goes for the monitor.

There is not much point, but if one camera brand does it, then the others have to follow.

Printing is one area where it would make a difference, as generally you print at 300dpi (e.g. an image 3,000 pixels wide would be 10" wide printed), but even then you can print at a slightly lower resolution, depending on the viewing distance, or upscale the file.

I have the opinion, that if someone doesn't need those pixels, then don't buy a high resolution camera, same goes for the monitor.
Manufacturers are making that very hard ! I must admit I have an old phone, laptop, TV (all brought new at the budget end) the newest is 9 years that's the phone and all are far better than I need !

Another situation where having that additional detail will help is if you ever straighten / rotate an image in post - where the more data you have, the better the final image will be.

Back