Where do you put your floodlights?

Edit My Images
Yes
How is everyone coping with the low light at the moment? What is the minimum shutter speed you can use on a bird? I am using the 100-400 f/5.6 from canon, I really wish I had a 2.8 with some reach. This is at f/5.6, t/400 and ISO 1600 with 1 stop added to the brightness in DPP.
The time is wrong on the camera it seems, it was 3:05 pm (50% crop)

And it is still too dark for my liking

For birds as close as that Blue Tit you can get some decent shots in very dim light with a flash and a Better Beamer flash extender.

Coldpenguin, you under exposed the shot which has added alot of noise. You'd be better off shooting at 100th on a tripod and getting the exposure to the right of the histogram as much as possible. 100th based on that fact you had to add a stop and still needs a stop added.

Ade

Wouldn't flash scare the bird off?
At t=1/100 isn't there the probability that the bird will be blurred? I will give it a shot, but I thought they moved somewhat faster than that (or is the hit-rate just intended to go down drastically?)

I dont think 100th would be enough to freeze the bird if the bird was in mid-twitch, but in between the twitches the bird should be still enough to freeze. Birds tend to move in a start-stop motion rather than with a continues, smooth movement. If you have the camera/tripod set-up, just use a remote cable to fire off a burst of shots. There's is bound to be at least one frozen shot. In fact 100th could be a good shutter speed to freeze the body but blur the wings i reckon, which with a bit of luck could produce a fantastic shot.

As for flash, im not experienced enough to say. Though the same thing could be said about the advice above.:puke:

Also what does 50% crop mean?

By 50% crop, I mean that I have cropped the image to 1600x1600, and reduced the size to 800x800 by resampling.
Others might have a different definition (to me, a 100% crop, is cropping to 800x800 without resizing).

I'll give the t/100 a shot, until the floodlights arrive. I am also considering re-siting the feeder so it is further away from the house, so there might be less shadow.

Wouldn't flash scare the bird off?

Well, what would I know.
Took this with the flash on, and it intrigued the bird so much it came to the window to work out what it was.

Doesn't the bird understand a 1.8m minimum shooting distance?!?

Thanks for the help.
These two were taken today, at t=1/160s
The first is slightly out of focus unfortunately (f/6.3), but the second, at f/8 is better.

(these are a 1:3 reduction, i.e. 2400px reduced to 800px)

Last edited:
Back