Where for cheap Tri-X

fixedimage

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Going to need more film soon, can anyone suggest anywhere that'll beat 7dayshop on price for Tri-X?
Their lowest price is £3.15 for 10+ rolls but I'm willing to buy it hundreds of rolls at a time if it makes the price better.
Or should I be buying it in bulk? Seems like a lot of hassle and I don't know what the 30.5m rolls that Silverprint do would equate to in terms of 36exp rolls to work out if it's much better value.

Just looked at the 4 online shops and 7day @ £3.15 is the cheapest I could find.

fixedimage said:
I don't know what the 30.5m rolls that Silverprint do would equate to in terms of 36exp rolls to work out if it's much better value.

It should be 19 rolls of 36 frame at 1.6m each.

It should be 19 rolls of 36 frame at 1.6m each.

Cheers, the bulk roll is £81.46 which I know immediately is more than I paid last time I ordered 20 rolls from 7dayshop plus I'd have to pay for delivery ontop of that...

...Yup just done the math and 20 rolls from 7day will be £63. Even at Silverprint's price of £3.89 for a 36exp roll it works out at £77.80 for 20 rolls so still cheaper than buying in bulk. I always presumed it'd be cheaper to buy bulk.

I wonder if 7day would do a special price for buying 100 rolls. It's 40p a roll cheaper if you buy 10+ rather than singles so if hey'd do a bigger bulk discount it'd be pretty good.

Anyone else shooting Tri-X that'd be interested in this? If I can email them offering to buy 500 rolls or so it might be better than enquiring about just 100 rolls.

One thing to consider with the bulk 30.5 meter roll and loading it up yourself is that you will get scratches. At least I always would get some now and then when I use to shoot 135 frequently years ago. I've heard others say they experienced the same thing too.

One thing to consider with the bulk 30.5 meter roll and loading it up yourself is that you will get scratches. At least I always would get some now and then when I use to shoot 135 frequently years ago. I've heard others say they experienced the same thing too.

That's decided it then, if the price difference had been huge I'd have been tempted but even going for the Arista bulk it's not that much cheaper than 36 exp Tri-X from 7Day.

I bought some Tri-X off another photographer I know who said he had bought something like 10,000 rolls a few years ago when he got a big commmision but hadn't got through it and hence was selling it, I'll find out where he got his from but I won't be able to buy in that kind of quantity!

I bought some Tri-X off another photographer I know who said he had bought something like 10,000 rolls a few years ago when he got a big commmision but hadn't got through it and hence was selling it, I'll find out where he got his from but I won't be able to buy in that kind of quantity!

Take note if it is the older Tri-X Pan (TX) or the newer Tri-X (400TX) film. The developing times can be significantly different as in the case of HC-110 and slightly different with some other developers.

It was the newer stuff. It's all gone now anyway and I'm making my way through the 20 rolls I got from 7day not long ago which is why I'm looking into getting more.
There was a classified ad on here that got me excited then I realised it was T-Max not Tri-X :(

Hi,

A couple of points to consider:

1. Tmax-400 (TMY2) is wonderful film and not to be dismissed because 'Tri-X is the business' . I use Tri-X all the time but when my stock is run down I will go over to Tmax and less Tri-X.

2. Bulk film allows one to decide how many frames to reel up e.g. 17 / 20 / 30 /37. This give you choice of testing situations and settings etc.
Thousands of people use bulk film and suffer no scratches. Choose the cassettes wisely and make sure you keep them clean - that's it.

YMMV

Al

Hi,

A couple of points to consider:

1. Tmax-400 (TMY2) is wonderful film and not to be dismissed because 'Tri-X is the business' . I use Tri-X all the time but when my stock is run down I will go over to Tmax and less Tri-X.

2. Bulk film allows one to decide how many frames to reel up e.g. 17 / 20 / 30 /37. This give you choice of testing situations and settings etc.
Thousands of people use bulk film and suffer no scratches. Choose the cassettes wisely and make sure you keep them clean - that's it.

YMMV

Al

What do you dev your TMax and Tri-X in? TMax needs TMax specific dev to get best out of it right?

Actually I'm reading that TMax is lower contrast than Tri-X and for that reason, I'm out.

I shoot Tri-x all the time, why not run your own tests before dismissing it? Developed in XTOL it runs at box speed and is perfect for nearly everything.

It took me 5 rolls of t-max to realise i didn't like it ;)

I shoot Tri-x all the time, why not run your own tests before dismissing it? Developed in XTOL it runs at box speed and is perfect for nearly everything.

It took me 5 rolls of t-max to realise i didn't like it ;)

I might, but my style is very high contrast so talk of TMax being less contrasty than Tri-X is off putting.

I've emailed 7day, whether or not I even get a reply remains to be seen.

try calumet photography, they're good for film and stuff

They're £1.25 dearer than 7day per roll and don't have any quantity discount on their website.

Not a fan of my local branch either, never get very good service, always get the feeling they only have time for you if you're in to buy a couple D3 bodies n some f2.8 teles.

7Day aren't interested.

Will get round to contacting mailshotsuk and ag soon.

I have contacted AG and Mailshots.
I haven't mentioned a multiperson bulk order or this forum as I reckoned that these places would rather sell 5 people 20 rolls than 1 person 100 rolls so it might have put them off offering a discount.

I just spotted this and thought you might be interested... Wouldn't be surprised if they offered a slight discount for bulk buying either...

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/products/1028/profilm-tri-x-pro-135-36-iso-400

They'd have to offer a reasonable discount for it to be truly worth it.

Say 50 rolls:

Firstcall - assuming delivery is £7.50 (and it could end up being more), it would end up being £3.20 per roll

7dayshop - £3.19 per roll

so in fact at a quantity of 50 rolls, 7dayshop is cheaper and not bulk rolled by the people at Firstcall!

Noone was able to offer me a discount that could beat 7day. I got one to match it but then I was having to buy 100 rolls so spending £300+ instead of being able to buy 10 at a time from 7day.
I'm still thinking about going for some Kentmere or Rollei film but haven't decided what yet.

Aye I couldn't find much either.
Searching google images comes up with either manky dull muddy images or images which are shot on another film so wasn't exactly inspired by that.

The other possibility is the 10 rolls for £18 for Rollei Retro 100/APX 100 that was discussed on another thread here? But to be honest, it doesn't look like 7DS is going to be beaten - it's the delivery that's really the tipping point in favour (even if it does live up to the website's name...)

Bearing in mind 7DS were mentioned on the 2nd April, and it's now the 25th, you could have ordered some, had it delivered and shot half a dozen rolls of it by now!

I have been shooting Tri-X since the 2nd, I've been using it for a while and have about 10 rolls left even now.
I plan ahead (y)

I have been shooting Tri-X since the 2nd, I've been using it for a while and have about 10 rolls left even now.
I plan ahead (y)

:LOL: so do I - that's why I keep getting it in the neck for the 3 boxes of film containing something like 60 rolls of various 35mm and maybe 45 rolls of random 120 that are cluttering up the 'fridge/freezer :naughty:

Needed some stuff from Silverprint so I have ordered a couple rolls of Fomapan400 to see what it's like.

I heard a rumour that Arista Premium 400 is repackaged Tri-x. Or if not, then so close you can't tell the difference. Hope this helps.

I have also heard that rumour but could only find Arista on sale in the US. Just adding the shipping onto the price made it almost as expensive as 7day Tri-X and there'd probably be tax to pay too.

I have the Fomapan400 in hand now, just waiting to get an empty camera to try it in.

Back