Where to shoot in the South Downs?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I've got to head down to Sussex next week for a few days, and as I've no idea what's down there I'm after some help on locations. I'll be based near Horsham, so I'm looking for some hints on where to go in the East of the South Downs.

Ideally I'd like a little bit of coastal (perhaps as far as beachy head) and some rolling hills, or perhaps some woodland?

Any help would be great

There's both within a few miles - the countryside around Beachy Head will give you the rolling hills, there's Friston Forest and the Cuckmere Valley if you drive west....

Thanks Martin, I hadn't seen Friston and the cuckmere, I'll check them out

What I had forgotten is the iconic Seven Sisters, (good shots to be had from Seaford Head) - that whole stretch of Downs/Coast is lovely - the Cuckmere Valley is very highly photographed (just Google for loads of examples)... good luck, I now live a few miles inland, have known those spots all my life, and still find them stunning -will be interested to see what you get!

Cuckmere and Friston is well worth a visit. Just to add, the view of the Cuckmere valley from Hindover Hill is very nice. There is also car parking available up there and by walking down to the river you will get a good view of the White Horse carved into the hillside.

A bit further west, there is Devil's Dyke just North of Brighton allowing views of the Sussex Weald and the South Downs Way.

Back