Wheres the best place to sell a camera ?

After a long lay-off, I went back to selling on eBay -- but as it turns out, for one item only. My item sold very quickly but then eBay decided that to protect the buyer, they were going to hang on to my money for three weeks despite me previously having sold thousands of pounds worth of stuff on there. I phoned them up and they told me that an algorithm decided when the money would be released and that if I sold something else, they couldn't tell me if the money would be released earlier and the only way to get it more quickly was to call them and they would release the money manually (he already did that with the current item I'd sold). He said if I sold regularly, the money would come more quickly -- well that was never going to happen! Oh, and they didn't use Paypal anymore, I had to give my bank details so the money would go directly to me. I mentally told them to shove it.

Ever since then, I've just gone to WEX to sell my equipment, I get less, but it's quoted for, picked up post-free, checked and, apart from one item where the manual focus didn't work (it might never have done, I never used it), I've always got the money they quoted me. Job done, money in the bank, no hassle, no scammers, no hanging on to money for weeks and no tyre-kickers, so for a few quid less than if I'd put the effort in, I've sold my kit.

I have also bought second-hand from WEX and the condition of that stuff has always been as they quoted too, most times a lot better than I expected.

That sounds more like lack of due diligence on your part, rather than any fault of theirs.

Did you check their current retail price and then reduce to 70%? And then go on to their website and use their estimated value calculator?
I've used MPB before so I know how it works, what they have in their favour is convenience, you'll never get a particularly good price and I expect that. They reduced the lens condition and hence the price on two lens that are practically brand new and have barely been used. They couldn't tell me why they'd reduced the condition, lenses that were selling for circa £150 more for each one on Ebay. I'd rather have the convenience that give Ebay their exorbitant fee's but there are limits.

After a long lay-off, I went back to selling on eBay -- but as it turns out, for one item only. My item sold very quickly but then eBay decided that to protect the buyer, they were going to hang on to my money for three weeks despite me previously having sold thousands of pounds worth of stuff on there. I phoned them up and they told me that an algorithm decided when the money would be released and that if I sold something else, they couldn't tell me if the money would be released earlier and the only way to get it more quickly was to call them and they would release the money manually (he already did that with the current item I'd sold). He said if I sold regularly, the money would come more quickly -- well that was never going to happen! Oh, and they didn't use Paypal anymore, I had to give my bank details so the money would go directly to me. I mentally told them to shove it.

Ever since then, I've just gone to WEX to sell my equipment, I get less, but it's quoted for, picked up post-free, checked and, apart from one item where the manual focus didn't work (it might never have done, I never used it), I've always got the money they quoted me. Job done, money in the bank, no hassle, no scammers, no hanging on to money for weeks and no tyre-kickers, so for a few quid less than if I'd put the effort in, I've sold my kit.

I have also bought second-hand from WEX and the condition of that stuff has always been as they quoted too, most times a lot better than I expected.
Never as yet had a problem with there system cutting out PayPal gives you all your entitled to and it’s in your bank next day . They seem to have lost a lot of the scammers since this came in to .
And I still have my PayPal account if I wish to buy larger items over a extended period

I have used LCE in Gosforth, WEX, Mifsuds, MPB, Park. LCE Gosforth are great - they do great deals for my kit when I am trading in - used them a lot during the years my in-laws were unwell - don't live up there but still get gear from them, most recently an R3. Park - also bought Canon gear from them; they also agreed to let me have the grip that I didn't realise was on offer after the fact when I saw it come up in an advert. Mifsuds - also helpful and I have had a couple of Canon white lenses from them; had to push for a better offer and a decent compromise was achieved when I swapped to a used 400 Doii. The only real issue I had was with MPB selling my 1dx2 in 2022. I did buy, with some trepidation, a significant item, in 2023 and it was immaculate. Mixed bag and wondering which version of MPB is going to turn up deters me, even knowing you can get some real gems. Phil V, I think it waas, had a 1dxiii from them that he was very pleased with. I have also used Ffordes and they will sell on a commission basis - you pay to get it there no doubt to stop people sending the kitchen sink. They like a contact first and will quote three prices... commission, trade in and a straight sale. I rang and asked if I could switch from commission as we were moving house and wanted it done and they told me it was out on trial so if I waited I could get the commission [best] rate. They did not need to do that. It depends how soon you want your ££. I have also bought some excellent kit from members on here with no dramas and great value... so maybe, try here!

Last edited:
Back