Which 400mm?

Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry I assume this has been asked before, but I cannot find it.

Ive got a 100-400L and its quite good, I do feel at times its a little too soft for my liking though. The rest of my equipment is as per my sig.

I would like to replace the 100-400 with a 400mm Prime, but which one. :thinking:

Initially I was looking at the 400mm F4 DO IS, as its lightweight and compact size look great for several hours of motorsport.

But for more or less the same money I could get a 300mm F2.8 L IS USM, which is only a little bigger, it quite a lot heavier, but also one of Canons sharpest lenses, and is said to produce better results then the 400 DO, even when used with a 1.4x TC (which I already have) making it a 420mm F4 IS USM.

The next option is the daddy, the 400mm f/2.8L IS USM, this is within my budget, but I doubt I could carry the thing all day.

The forth option that has been pointed out to me is the 400mm F5.6L which is perhaps the budget L option, but as it hasnt got IS I dismissed this idea.

Has anyone else been in this position before me and if so what lens solution did you pick, as photography is simply a hobby and not a job, i dont know whether to just stick with what I have.

If I do decide on either a 300 or 400 prime, I will definately sell the 100-400 and get a 70-200L F2.8 IS for the short range.

Thanks very much for any help or advice, Darryn.

I find my 100-400 sharper on my 20D than my 1DMk2. That being said I'm just planning a trip to Stoke to pick my 1DMk2, 70-200 and 100-400 from being serviced so you never know!

Anyhow! I've been toying with selling my 100-400 and pondering what to get.

The costs of the both primes are the very expensive, I was considering the 300 rather than the 400 and using a 2x TC and living with the short fall of the 100mm.

How about hiring from somewhere like Calumet and doing a comparison?

I'd be interested in knowing what you go for.
Carl.

I have a friend that shoots motorsport and after going through pretty much the same options you are, went with the 70-200 and 300 in 2.8 L IS guise with 1.4 and 2x converters.

I know he has been mostly happy but still felt that some tracks really needed a bit more.

The 300 2.8 is an AMAZING bit of glass and certaily wont dissapoint, don't know much about the longer stuff. (although I did get to have a play with canon 500 f4 the other week, s'ok too. ;) )

I need the lens before August 13th for the Grand Prix Masters at Silverstone, If I cannot decide before then, I will simply try and hire both the 300mm L IS F2.8 and the 400mm F4 DO IS, take shots with both lenses and then compare the results when I get back home.

I also find the 100-400 sharper on my 20D, I considered getting it and the camera serviced and calibrated, but, it was never really as sharp as I hoped for on the 20D either.

Ive been looking at hiring from theflashcentre at £47/day each. Calumet dont appear to have the 400 DO IS on there rental list.

DreederUK said:
Ive been looking at hiring from theflashcentre at £47/day each. Calumet dont appear to have the 400 DO IS on there rental list.

Bloody hell Darryn thats a lot of dosh for a day..:eek:

Get your arse round here and try my 300mm f/2.8L for nowt..:nuts:

I have some lovely scenary to shoot but not much action,:naughty: You can certainly try it if you want..(y)

350D=1.jpg

Thats a very very generous offer, and I thank you very much. As i dont drive yet, I may not be able to take you up on it though.

Ive just been checking and to hire both lenses for 4 days (Pickup Thursday Drop Off Monday) is going to cost me £380 total.... I think its probably easier just to get the 300L F2.8 IS and in the highly unlikely event im not totally satisfied sell it on, I doubt I would loss £400 in 4 days. (I could possibly return it for full refund depending on where I got it from :bonk: but thats a bit cheeky)

if i could afford it i'd go down the 300 f2.8 route. just gives you a little more versitility and an excellent combo :)

The 300mm F2.8 makes perfect sense. Couple it with a 1.4x convertor (F4) and you'll be sorted :)

Back