Which 77mm ND filters?

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
So, I’ve got myself a 17-40L and wonna get some nice shots, and since I got that my budget is really low, and I’ll be trying to get used ones, I mean I’m looking at £20ish per filter, I’ve been looking at Hoya and they seem great, but I’m just wondering if there’s any other options? also seen the Cokin filter system? Any good?

and if there’s any other types of filters you think I should get let me know please :)

Thanks for any help
Chilt

FWIW just some general thoughts re: filters

Firstly, you now have a Canon L lens......a series renowned as the best of Canon optics!

When I have bought filters I have always bought the highest grade that will have the minimum of optical effect of the performance of the lens...........see where I am going....;)

So why scrimp on budget for filters that may reduce the quality of the images that that lens is capable of!

As I say, just FWIW.....YMMV

Hoya Pro digital I'd recommend.

Have always used them and they're great.

I also use Formatt Hitech Firecrest but in the Firecrest holder system.

I have a Zomei 77mm 10 stop ND filter and it's pretty good considering it was about £35. They can be found on Amazon and ebay. To be honest, they're not bad, not much colour cast, but I wouldn't stack them with other filters.
You could also look at Gobe filters if you're on a budget.
https://mygobe.com/uk/shop/lens-filters/nd-filters/77mm.html

If like me you've spent your limited budget on the best lens you can afford, it doesn't really give you any spare to spend £100 on an ND filter. If you can spend £80+ then you can start looking at Lee Filters, Formatt Hitech, Haida and the like, but even once you've bought the 100mm square ND filter, you then need to spend more on the mounting system.
Also, if you're not sure how much you're going to use it, and have a limited budget, it's probably not worth spending hundreds.

Have a look at SRB filters.
I've used them in the past and they're not bad for the money.
Once you see how much you use them you can upgrade.

I'd recommend Gobe filters, I've got a set for my Fujinon 16-55 which is 77mm and they are great. I got the set with the CPL, 10 stop ND and some colour filters for about £70 I think. I've written a bit about them on my website if you want to see exactly what I bought (link in sig)

There’s no many to choose from! Thanks guys! What stop ND filter should I start off with you recon? The one I’d use the most?

Thanks
Chilt

There’s no many to choose from! Thanks guys! What stop ND filter should I start off with you recon? The one I’d use the most?

Thanks
Chilt
Depends what you want to do.
If you want to smooth out water, you'll want exposures anywhere from 1sec to 30seconds. I have a 10 stop, but sometimes I could do with a 6 stop because either I don't want such a long exposure or because it's not so light (like pre-sunrise).

Back