Which body next?

Name
Kieran
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

So I currently use a d3400 and a Tamron 100-400 for my track shots.

I like the results I'm getting but I'd like something with faster fps and a better af system to capture more accurate shots.

I'm torn between the d7500 and the d750 (possibly the d500 but that is a bit pricey).

The d7500 has more fps and a newer processing system and is newer in general.

The d750 has a bit less fps but is full frame so would be a bigger step up in image quality but I'd older and more expensive by about 200 pounds so is it worth it.

I'm not sure which would suit my needs more?

Thanks

Kieran

Last edited:
The D500 is the best track camera I've ever had. I wouldn't replace it with anything else even if I could afford it.

Good to hear from an owners perspective! Does the 20.9mp dx sensor have good quality? I'm coming from a d3400 so I'd imagine it would be a step up in the features and build of the camera. Do you have any sanple images from it?

I would probably stay with the crop format. D500 would be my choice for the FPS, AF, and dual cards; but the D7500 would be a good step for you as well. Both are essentially ISO invariant, offer good DR/color accuracy, and more resolution than you will (probably) ever need or actually record.

I usually supply images at 4000px on longest edge and d500 shoots at 5568px, so it still gives plenty of room for cropping (not as much as my D850 though ;) )
here's one from last week
View attachment 132889

That looks very crisp, is this sensor good at stills as well, I also take photos of cars stationary so I'd like decent quality from that too.

I would probably stay with the crop format. D500 would be my choice for the FPS, AF, and dual cards; but the D7500 would be a good step for you as well. Both are essentially ISO invariant, offer good DR/color accuracy, and more resolution than you will (probably) ever need or actually record.

Both are good but I'm swaying towards the d7500 due to the 350 pound price difference. How much of a difference would I notice in taking photos with this camera in comparison to my d3400 in terms of the amount of successful shots and what they look like?

Both are good but I'm swaying towards the d7500 due to the 350 pound price difference. How much of a difference would I notice in taking photos with this camera in comparison to my d3400 in terms of the amount of successful shots and what they look like?
I can't really say as I haven't used either of those models specifically. If used well the D3500 should be capable enough in many/most situations. The main reason I would want the D7500 over the D3400 is more AF points/better AF, faster FPS, and better controls.

I can't really say as I haven't used either of those models specifically. If used well the D3500 should be capable enough in many/most situations. The main reason I would want the D7500 over the D3400 is more AF points/better AF, faster FPS, and better controls.

Those were also the reasons i was thinking. I was doing some research on cameras and i saw that if you look hard enough you can find d4/d4s' for a similar price to the d500. I know they dont have the most megapixels but they are a pro grade camera. Im not sure if i should save up a little longer and invest in something like this which will last a long time and give great results. Then again the batteries and memory cards cost a lot so that may be a venture in the future.

Last edited:
I would still stay with the crop format... although I do love the D4s I would recommend the D500 over it for most users.

Think I'm stuck between the d750 or the d500. I've looked on flickr for shots and the d750 seem to be a bit clearer but everything else on the d500 is better. Is the d500 sensor good at stillstoo? (Maybe the odd portrait?)

Edit: By stills I mean stationary car shots that are parked at events

Last edited:
The D500 is good for anything you might ever want to do. Maybe not the greatest for low light/high ISO work, but if the images are going to be used at a smaller (normal) size it's more than good enough.

The D500 is good for anything you might ever want to do. Maybe not the greatest for low light/high ISO work, but if the images are going to be used at a smaller (normal) size it's more than good enough.

Sounds good then! I only use my photos on instagram at the moment but id like to get media access at some events in the future so some may go online.

I own both cameras (D500/D750) and would recommend you buy the D500.

The only people I would recommend the D750 over the D500 to are astrophotographers or other people who shoot low light high ISO stuff. If that stuff is moving quickly though you'd probably still be better off with the D500. It has the best autofocus of any camera I have ever used, 10fps and at base ISO (landscapes) the exposure latitude is as near as makes no difference, a match to the D750. Files are sharper too, as it has no anti aliasing filter.

I own both cameras (D500/D750) and would recommend you buy the D500.

The only people I would recommend the D750 over the D500 to are astrophotographers or other people who shoot low light high ISO stuff. If that stuff is moving quickly though you'd probably still be better off with the D500. It has the best autofocus of any camera I have ever used, 10fps and at base ISO (landscapes) the exposure latitude is as near as makes no difference, a match to the D750. Files are sharper too, as it has no anti aliasing filter.

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like im going to save up for a D500 then, ive found it brand new for £999 so going to go for that.

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like im going to save up for a D500 then, ive found it brand new for £999 so going to go for that.
If you've found it for £999 then i'd be very very careful where you are buying it from.. that sounds too good to be true.

Anything from Canon!

Back