which camera 7D or 5D Mk II ..

which camera

• Total voters
Name
graham
Edit My Images
No
hi guys
which camera should I use for motorsport , just brought a 5D mkII .. Or should I still use the 7D ...
Would love a 5D mkIII but cant afford it at the moment ...

Depends what sort of motorsport, but you have a more capable AF system on a 7D and the crop sensors higher pixel density helps.
motorbikes most of the time really ..

thinking of a 5d Mkiii would this be the best camera to have & get rid of the other 2 cameras ??

Well it scores on the AF and for pit use, but 7d still has advantage unless you have expensive lenses to make up for the pixel density of the 7d
only got canon L series lens ...

Not sure if it's my 7D getting a bit old but I much prefer the images taken from my 5D2 when doing track work, finding my 7D producing too much noise at low ISO compared to the 5D2 so I'd rather shoot and crop full frame than use the crop factor of the 7D. Eyeing up a 5D3 myself next.

May be look for a 7d2 just the job for the bikes and you keep all your lenes

Like you I have both the 7D and 5D Mk2, I mainly use the 5D but I keep the 7D for wildlife and motorsport, it does not get a lot of use but looking at the used prices its not worth selling as it would cost me more than I am prepared to spend to upgrade to either a 7Dmk2 od a 5D Mk3
The 7D still does its job and whey my abilities surpass those of the camera then I will get rid but I have a long way to go yet.

only got canon L series lens ...

but with a FF camera you need bigger, heavier and more expensive ones.

The trouble OP, is you loose the crop factor when you move to FF... As Andrew says you need to buy the expensive 400mm+ lenses to match the reach of an affordable 300mm lens on a crop like the 7D. Bikes often call for maximum reach... if you already have quality long glass the 5D iii will do you proud, however if you are currently reach limited then stick with the 7D

The trouble OP, is you loose the crop factor when you move to FF... As Andrew says you need to buy the expensive 400mm+ lenses to match the reach of an affordable 300mm lens on a crop like the 7D. Bikes often call for maximum reach... if you already have quality long glass the 5D iii will do you proud, however if you are currently reach limited then stick with the 7D
got 400mm f5.6 L will this be struggling on a 5d mkII say Silverstone etc ..

Speaking as a former 7D owner on a 5DII, the AF performance of the 5DII is such a slow pain that coupled with the crop factor, I can't see why you would even consider the 5DII for any sport, nevermind motorsport.

many thanks for all the input so far .. Most helpful ..
If I want only one camera at the track & if needed a upgrade what would your choice be ? 7D2 or 5D3 ?
If I didn't upgrade looks like the 7D with the advice given so far ?

got 400mm f5.6 L will this be struggling on a 5d mkII say Silverstone etc ..

I use the same lens with a 5D iii... it works but its on the limit for bikes with close up options limited to a few corners... more often than not I find I'm pushed into using a TC (even with cars) which both reduces AF speed and accuracy and makes it difficult to deal with the fences at f8 on bright days (and I still need to crop in often). My honest advice is to stick with the 7D over the 5d MKii for motorsport... you need to ask yourself why you would upgrade in the first place, what do you expect to get by doing so? the 7d should be more than adequate for all round use at a track (inc. pit, paddock) etc... As has been said, the 5D ii is better suited to pit and paddock work because of the FF benefit and slow AF.....

Last edited:
many thanks for the input on this ...
going to stick with the 7d & put my money on a better lens Eg 300mm or 400mm f2.8 L lens ,that way if I need a bit better reach I can use a 1.4x or 2x TC ...

Would have thought with the 5D MKIII you would be able to crop into the image due to the megapixels. You can use most cameras for Motorsport, depends how you use the camera, used a 20D for years with brilliant results. Machine gun style and yes the 5D MKII would struggle, autofocus system not really designed for that, but 2-3 shot bursts then you can get some great shots. The autofocus expansion on the 7D very useful, especially for action photography. As mentioned above keep the 7D for the action stuff and used the 5D for the pits.

I'm so pleased to read this thread.
A while ago, I started a thread entitled 'can a 5Dii do sports?' and the responses from that at the time (I had a choice between the 5Dii/7D) drove me down the 5Dii route. I shot everything from aircraft, watersports, indoor/outdoor events motorcycling etc and it always produced the goods.
OK it's not crop, but the FF ability and the ISO gave me no problems when it came to cropping.
Just under 4fps may appear slow nowadays, but how did they manage when they had 1shot and then manually wind on?
I'm in the position now to look at either a 7D2 or a 5D3 to compliment, but I won't get rid of the faithful 5Dii, it's still hugely capable.

I'm so pleased to read this thread.
A while ago, I started a thread entitled 'can a 5Dii do sports?' and the responses from that at the time (I had a choice between the 5Dii/7D) drove me down the 5Dii route. I shot everything from aircraft, watersports, indoor/outdoor events motorcycling etc and it always produced the goods.
OK it's not crop, but the FF ability and the ISO gave me no problems when it came to cropping.
Just under 4fps may appear slow nowadays, but how did they manage when they had 1shot and then manually wind on?
I'm in the position now to look at either a 7D2 or a 5D3 to compliment, but I won't get rid of the faithful 5Dii, it's still hugely capable.

Any camera is capable in the right hands :) ...FPS isn't really the issue, its the slow, iffy (relative) focus acquisition. But yes as you rightly say, there are always manual workarounds... the iii has a much much faster and more accurate focusing system over the ii.

At Silverstone and Donington I found it's not uncommon to have to crop in heavily on 5D iii files even at 560mm... so in my experience to have a decent crop body on hand as well would be preferential for the kind of motorsport shooting I do (which may or may not be what other people do) :)

by the results of the vote 100% to the 7D ..

I agree wholeheartedly that the 7D is the right choice over the 5D II. Have you considered the 6D though. Yes, you'd lose the crop factor but excellent noise handling and low light capabilities.

I agree wholeheartedly that the 7D is the right choice over the 5D II. Have you considered the 6D though. Yes, you'd lose the crop factor but excellent noise handling and low light capabilities.
if was going to upgrade camera would be a 7D2 for sports after reading reviews lately

Back