which camera

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
my son is after a camera, he is 12 yrs old, he wants one so when im taking photo's he can do the same, ive got about £200 to spend on him or a little bit more for the right one, any thoughts advice would be welcome, the ones ive looked at so far are.....
Fuji Finepix S5600
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 BLACK

Cant speak for the Panasonic but my bro has the Fuji S5600 and he's found it a great little camera.
When Ive shot portrait-style pics for my nail comps he has often shot alongside me and produced some nice pics with lovely skin tones.
The zoom is pretty decent on it too.

Difficult choice now I think about it, my son is also 12 and uses my old coolpix 8700, and I can tell you the sophistication of this model goes well beyond anything he wants to understand...a this stage I like to hope.

The bits he loves about it are the folding screen, he'll uses that to get more angles than you thought possible, but also the view finder just as much, especially when sunny etc. The Zoom, obviously :LOL: He processes his own shots in a basic way and loves the fact you can crop right in on 8 mega pixels and still have a big printable image.

...So I just set everything on the camera for him WB full auto etc....and he gets on and enjoys himself. Nearly forgot, he loves the movie option as well....loads of short movies of his mates doing fight scenes. lol

The biggest problem with this camera is its slow to respond, this makes him take time to compose though, so not so bad, although he does get slightly frustrated when theirs some action to be had...lots of missed and blurred images etc.

Just thoughts. HTH. :)

we went into Pc-world and Currys yesterday and we had a look at the Fuji 5600 and the Fuji 9500 the price's were £199 & £345 i know i can get them cheaper on the net but i wanted him to have a hold of them and see which he liked best, luckly for me it was the Fuji 5600, there was a OLYMPUS SP-500UZ which i like the look of aswell, i would love to get him the Nikon d50 and he could use some of my cheap lenses but its a bit out of my price range. so i think it will be a Fuji 5600 which i can get for £170 unless someone else has a better idea.

Thanks Forbiddenbiker, InaGlo for your replies

Is it worth checking out ebay for 2nd hand prices on a d50? Not being a Nikon user I wouldn't have the foggiest what sort of price they'd fetch but if that would be your preferred route....? Like you say you have lenses he could use - would he be strong enough in the hands/arms to manage the size and weight though?

Whichever way you go, good luck to him with it.

Keltic Ice Man said:
Just about to sell my Fuji S602 on fleabay later this week, with a wide angle lens (0.45x) and a close up kit (4 piece set) - if your interested pm me - thinking about the £155 mark + postage from Cumbria.

Edit - Just noticed you're in the far east - could even deliver if interested.
sorry m8 i want one with a few more pixels, thanks very much anyway, good luck with selling it, David

I used to have a S5600 - Lovely camera, brilliant to learn on.

Back