Which Canon DSLR Body (20D or 400D)?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Well i am now looking to move from my Canon 350D Body to maybe a used 20D or 400D but cannot make my mind up on which one to buy.

I spend most my time taking photos at airshows and airbases

If anyone who uses the above could post there views and comments on these and also any bad points.

Many Thanks
Chris B

Not sure on how much to spend yet but it wont be into the mega money so what sort of prices would be good for these

Hi,

Without wishing to cause offence, and assuming there is nothing wrong with your camera body at the moment, I would look to your lenses as where the money needs to be spent.

You are currently using the 'kit' lens and the cheapest zoom that Canon do.

If you're shooting at airshows, a longer, faster, lens will make more difference than any body upgrade possibly could.

I'd try to pick up a used 70-300 IS or 70-200 f4L - those will give you some superb images and really will make the difference that a jump to 20/30/40D ever could.

Cheers,
James

No Offence casued :)

I have sold my 350D and the Kit and Zoom lens to put towards getting a new body and lens. I could not afford to keep the 350D as i was out of a job for a bit and now back in work working 2 Contracts at the minute so looking to see what i can get. I only started doing photo work about 12 months ago so all new to this game

What lens would you suggest then thats not going to cost the earth..

Chris

Hi,

Without wishing to cause offence, and assuming there is nothing wrong with your camera body at the moment, I would look to your lenses as where the money needs to be spent.

You are currently using the 'kit' lens and the cheapest zoom that Canon do.

If you're shooting at airshows, a longer, faster, lens will make more difference than any body upgrade possibly could.

I'd try to pick up a used 70-300 IS or 70-200 f4L - those will give you some superb images and really will make the difference that a jump to 20/30/40D ever could.

Cheers,
James

Give us a budget and we'll find something. If you're prepared to look second hand (which for lenses is very sensible) then depending on budget there will be something that will do the job a treat. I omitted the Sigma 100-300 f4 EX as mentioned by Andrew, but used prices vary wildly!

Cheers,
James

Moos3h has hit the nail on the head, glass will get you a much more noticeable improvment as opposed to a body and his suggestions make sense given your liking for airshows etc. if you can scrape together some mega buck a 100-400L would be excellent as well.

Well i am not sure on my funds yet but could be around £500 or £600 i would go for Used kit if i know what to look for when buying from other people

Well a new 400d body is available for £345-£350 froma variety of sources, such as http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=102548 and you then claim £45 back from Canon, so effectively its £300 for the body.

A used 20d is going to be around £300 in a camera shop with warranty, a 30d body more like £350-£380 (nearer £310 on a private sale with no warranty).

That doesn't leave you a huge amount for a lens, but second hand you might stumble on usuable walkaround lens and a 70-300 Canon for airshows

...which would be pointless in my opinion as it'd offer negligable improvement on what you had.

Invest in glass, get the body you can afford but the glass you NEED!

Nothing loses value worse in camera-land than Digital Cameras (well, apart from Polaroid shares) so go used for the body and buy last-generation where possible (20D's are being sold for silly money these days).

Cheers,
James

20D ebay...

i dont mean get it from here...its just a representation of price....

then i'd say look well for a example '70-200 f4 L' but be careful you dont cut your fingers on it....its *S*H*A*R*P*

and then if you want something to tide you over pick up a 18-55 for £30ish..

So to round up

20D £220-270ish
70-200 f4 can be had for £300
18-55 £30

Total - £600

How is the 70-200 f4 rated, Does anyone have any images they have took using this lens

Chris

Many rate the 70-200 f4L as the sharpest of the bunch. It's a quality lens, no doubt.

If you're unsure, you could always go through the EXIF data from your best photos and see what focal length you shot 'em at.

Cheers,
James

I'd keep an eye on MPB, advert on the home page. They've had some cracking deals on 20D's lately, nothing at the moment though. It's still a very capable camera.

Chris,

Whilst the basic image quality from a 20D will be better than your 350D, I think your needs would be better served getting a decent lens and keeping the body. A 20D's sensor is great for capturing tones and texture...better than the 30D and 40D IMHO...but mating a decent lens with your 350D will certainly give you what you need for bases and shows.
The extra mm's above 300 come at a hefty premium if quality is required and saving up a little longer may be a wise move unless you pick up a second hand lens now and take a small hit when your ready to move up.

Bob

I've seen some good reults with the 350/400D and a sigma 70-210mm f2.8 mated with the sigma 1.4x teleconvertor. Looking at used prices on the bay I reckon you could pick up that combo for;

400d = £290
sigma 70-210mm = £200
1.4x tele = £70

total = £560.

Just make sure that the Sigma works with the 400D. Some of the older lenses need to be re-chipped.

Back